. .
    My modest spindle, has several collet sizes up to 6mm, but frankly swapping collets is quite time consuming (n comparison to just swapping a cutter out)

99% of the time, I use a 3.175mm (1/8") collet....but occasionally, I need to use 3.8mm to 5mm endmills...to save me having to swap the collet out, I was wondering if anyone has seen endmills that have a cutting diameter wider than the shank (therefore for example 4mm cutter on a 3.175mm shank).

yes, I know there probably wouldn't be much demand (on account such a cutter would be weaker than normal), but I only make light cuts on acrylic acrylic, FR4 & the time savings for me would be a massive win.

I'm not even *that* fussed about precision (I typically use the larger cutters to skim a bit of depth of some material), so had even thought about getting a 4mm standard endmill turned down so the shaft is 3.175mm etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    My modest spindle, has several collet sizes up to 6mm, but frankly swapping collets is quite time consuming (n comparison to just swapping a cutter out)

99% of the time, I use a 3.175mm (1/8") collet....but occasionally, I need to use 3.8mm to 5mm endmills...to save me having to swap the collet out, I was wondering if anyone has seen endmills that have a cutting diameter wider than the shank (therefore for example 4mm cutter on a 3.175mm shank).

yes, I know there probably wouldn't be much demand (on account such a cutter would be weaker than normal), but I only make light cuts on acrylic acrylic, FR4 & the time savings for me would be a massive win.

I'm not even *that* fussed about precision (I typically use the larger cutters to skim a bit of depth of some material), so had even thought about getting a 4mm standard endmill turned down so the shaft is 3.175mm etc.
    Well the other way around exists IE 6mm shank 3mm endmill in fact do a search on ebay for 6mm shank endmill and you will see plenty of different size cutters with a 6 mm shank.. If that is any help..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

There are pcb drills like that so I guess there are probably endmills too. G.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Well the other way around exists IE 6mm shank 3mm endmill in fact do a search on ebay for 6mm shank endmill and you will see plenty of different size cutters with a 6 mm shank.. If that is any help..

Rick
    Yes, but those 'other way' cutters tend to be very expensive...to give you an idea, the 3.175mm shank drills I use (which are perfectly fine) are about 60p each....

10pcs 0.8mm/ PCB Print Circuit Board Carbide Drills Bit End CNC Jewelry | eBay

...not much heartache when one of those snaps, but a 6mm shank/0.8mm dia drill....well, if it even exists, I'd be a broken man if it snapped!

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Yes, but those 'other way' cutters tend to be very expensive...to give you an idea, the 3.175mm shank drills I use (which are perfectly fine) are about 60p each....

10pcs 0.8mm/ PCB Print Circuit Board Carbide Drills Bit End CNC Jewelry | eBay

...not much heartache when one of those snaps, but a 6mm shank/0.8mm dia drill....well, if it even exists, I'd be a broken man if it snapped!
    Yeh i see what you mean, i wonder if you could get some 6mm collars made with varios hole sizes that would just slip in makeing it easier to change them..?

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

well if I had a lathe I'd just buy some cheap large dia. endmills & turn the shanks down to 1/8" (as it goes I did have a mini lathe but I spent more time fixing it than using it - it got sold!)

Thread Information