. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

I'm new here.... Please forgive the asking for help so immediately...

I have a CAD object that is around 17x27x5 mm in size, it has fairly detailed embossing, a few holes between 3 and 4 mm, and some general cut outs.

I have contacted numerous CNC machinists in the hope of getting this thing made out of wood, however every last one of them have said its too small for their machines.

I think I may be lacking the terminology to properly Google search for someone to create this for me, can anyone here help?

I am hoping to mass produce this little object in wood, but at this stage I am thinking that it may just not be possible.

All help appreciated.

Thanks
    Tab

Post a photo or drawing of what you need so everyone can see it and decide if they can make it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Post a photo or drawing of what you need so everyone can see it and decide if they can make it for you.
    Render attached...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73-9KOP.png 
Views:	340 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	8299

What type of wood are you thinking to use on such a small part with this amount of detail

Phill

Does it have to be wood? It would be a doddle to print.

You could fume it to get a better finish:- Giving 3D printed parts a shiny smooth finish

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    What type of wood are you thinking to use on such a small part with this amount of detail

Phill
    I would like to use acrylic pressure stabilised hard wood. Maple seems to be easiest to get hold of, but any really.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Does it have to be wood? It would be a doddle to print.
    I have had it printed for prototype purposes, but I would like the finished piece to be in wood.

Cheers
    Tab

I think you'll find these will be too expensive to produce. Thou small parts they need to be machined on 3 sides which means setting machine 3 times ensuring accurate relocation.
    Also 2 operations are full 3D which takes long time for just a few parts and to do properly in larger volumes will require a special Jig to be made. Again timely and expensive to make, esp if lots are to be made in one go.

How about a mould and using resin.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I think you'll find these will be too expensive to produce. Thou small parts they need to be machined on 3 sides which means setting machine 3 times ensuring accurate relocation.
    Also 2 operations are full 3D which takes long time for just a few parts and to do properly in larger volumes will require a special Jig to be made. Again timely and expensive to make, esp if lots are to be made in one go.

How about a mould and using resin.?
    You sound like you know what you are talking about, so I guess I will have to shelve my dream of having this produced in wood. What would be involved in using a mould and resin? What sort of finish would I get and how would it look colour wise etc...? Is there any chance I could get a wood effect?

Thanks
    Tab

I cast some floor panels in resin and then paint them. Most people think they are wood. If you make a wood master and and wire brush it to exagerate the grain, the grain effect should come out in the mould. Despite the small size the mould is likely to be a bit expensive as it will not be an easy one to make. G.

Yes regards the machining I know little what talking about but unfortunately know far less about the resin casting side.

I would have thought that Silicone mould would be the best option to give most detail. Make a high quality Master and Like Geoff says exaggerate grain affect thru wire brushing or sand blasting and with a bit of playing around colouring the resin then would have thought should get a good wood affect.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information