. .
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I searched for these spindles and now I'm so confused...

solar.jean states on a few of his listings "FOUR BEARING"; first written only on the listing image for a spindle alone with "Japanese Imported Bearing" and second only in the listing title for the £252 spindle+VFD with "Germany Imported Bearing"

As I buy the ballscrews from linearmotionbearings2008 I saw that he also sells spindles which are far more expensive (£353). As I asked him if he can justify the higher price, he only made a "best special price" which is still £36 higher. The only important difference in the description is that he claim to professionally test them before shipping.

Now my dilemma comes from the fact that he already sold 54 of them at this very high price. And 54 are a lot!

I even read somewhere on the forums that the German bearings are actually made by a Chinese company named "German" and the Japanese ones are top brands but that specific model number is supplied only to China.

I'd buy from Chi. He's consistent and a decent chap. If things go wrong he usually fixes it. Solar Jean has been known to disappear off the face of the earth if you email with questions and especially if you want to claim on the warranty.

Both have only few negative and neutral feedback, and solar.jean mostly for $1 "Nail Art 3D Sticker" lol

Yes, I know Chai is way more consistent and professional. I read a lot of good things about him. Could this be the only reason for selling a lot of spindles at 40% higher price?

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    Could this be the only reason for selling a lot of spindles at 40% higher price?
    The other reason is someone called JazzCNC keeps advising people to buy them from him. My opinion is just get the cheapest one since the differences between them, if you can even tell a difference, are bound to be negligible and I know plenty of people who've bought from other sellers and haven't reported problems. Mine, which was the cheapest I could find at the time, was from solar.jean and it turns out it has Chinese bearings, but they are marked as a match pair so that's pretty good. It also has 4 bearings not 3. He probably sells all sorts though, so don't expect that to mean you'll get one the same.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

This Chinese spindle thing is an expensive lottery (for me at least). If you get a spindle manufactured on Friday or during a football game you may have the AC bearings put in the same direction not face to face or even fewer as designed...

Think you'll find Solar Jean sells crap spindles as well as good one's. Its pot luck. Loads of complaints about that seller on CNCZone never heard anyone complaining about the one's chai sells. I think Jazz does right recommending Chai to folks since they've got enough headaches with the logistics of DIY CNC.

Didn't Solar Jean steal money off you Jonathan when you bought those drives and never got them?

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    This Chinese spindle thing is an expensive lottery (for me at least). If you get a spindle manufactured on Friday or during a football game you may have the AC bearings put in the same direction not face to face or even fewer as designed...
    For £36 when your spending £250+ its nothing to have something tested and I know Chai does his best to get his from the better sources in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Didn't Solar Jean steal money off you Jonathan when you bought those drives and never got them?
    No, different seller.

I know Chai does his best to get his from the better sources in China.
    How do you know? If it's just based on his word, then of course he's going to say that.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

For £36 when your spending £250+ its nothing to have something tested and I know Chai does his best to get his from the better sources in China.
    When I asked Chai to justify the higher price he didn't gave me any argument, only a better price. Could it be just a lack of selling technique?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    How do you know? If it's just based on his word, then of course he's going to say that.
    When you say you make decent parts I'm taking you on your word. Of course you think you do but can you prove it? Well yes you can, I only need go ask people you've done jobs for or sold services to.

Same principle with Chai. Plenty of happy customers and very hard to find complaints.

At the end of the day its your money, spend it how you will. I've been bitten from not researching exhaustively and being too trusting. Now I'd sooner spend that bit more and go with someone who has a good rep. Take it or leave it I ain't justifying it any more than that!
    Last edited by Shinobiwan; 25-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information