. .
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Just to clarify, this is true for the shield but you should ideally also earth the body of the spindle, not relying on earthing through the machine frame as the bearings are not predictable.
    Yes I agree with that also it is a good idea to put some form of cable restraint on the spindle so as to stop the connections breaking in the plug and causing the VFD to fail.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

In my Belden wire it has 3 insulated cores, an. Outer foil shield and a non insulated wire together with the shield. So are you saying connect the shield and non insulated wire to the spindle body at one end and to ground at the vfd end?

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    In my Belden wire it has 3 insulated cores, an. Outer foil shield and a non insulated wire together with the shield. So are you saying connect the shield and non insulated wire to the spindle body at one end and to ground at the vfd end?
    Yes exactly that. You can solder or crimp .a short piece of wire and then put heat shrink on
    Last edited by Clive S; 27-12-2015 at 08:14 PM.
    ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Yes exactly that. You can solder or crimp .a short piece of wire and then put heat shrink on
    Clive, can you post a picture pleaaaaaase ?

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    Clive, can you post a picture pleaaaaaase ?
    Sorry I don't have a picture. I use CY 4 core. Can you say what you are not understanding and I will try and explain better.
    ..Clive

I was talking about the part where you solder the cable to the shield. I'd be curious to see how you do it.

I was talking about the part where you solder the cable to the shield. I'd be curious to see how you do it.
    Ok It depends on how course the weave is on the shield. If it is course you can use a pointed object and tease the cores out through it then you have a strand of shield left to solder to.
    If it is tight weave then you have to cut it and then twist it to a strand with the ground drain wire and then solder an earth wire to that . use heat shrink to make it neat. In this pic it is the blue wire with green/yellow sleeve to identify it as earth star point. but the same can be done for the spindle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160104_152022416.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	17107  
    ..Clive

Thanks for the image :) I see what you mean.

Now, when you open the spindle cap, you just solder a wire from pin 4 to the spindle shield ? I mean, literally to the metallic shield right under the cap ?

Thanks for the image :) I see what you mean.

Now, when you open the spindle cap, you just solder a wire from pin 4 to the spindle shield ? I mean, literally to the metallic shield right under the cap ?
    Ok it depends if you have 3 or 4 pins on your spindle socket if you have 4 one of them may not be connected to anything. I took the end cap off and soldered a wire to the vacant pin and put a longer screw in the socket and attached the wire to a ring connector which then fitted over the longer screw and fastened it with a nut inside. Then you can use that pin as the earth in the plug. If you only have 3 pins in the socket then you have to attach the earth to the spindle or clamp.
    ..Clive

Perfect description, thanks Clive, you're an ace :)

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information