. .
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    I'm thinking of adding a slight enhancement to the "pump switched by VFD" thing by sticking a flow sensor in the return line to the reservoir driving a relay. It's then pretty easy to sound an alarm if the pump is energised but insufficient water's flowing.
    If going to that trouble I'd be more inclined to fit the temp sensor on the spindle than worry about water flow. Or have both work together.

One other thing that should be done is to replace a power connector because the one that comes with 2.2kW spindle is not rated to 10A, but to something way below it.
    About a month ago my HY VFD went up in smoke due to an arc that went across pins of my spindle power connector.
    Today I'm looking at a new Altivar 320 to replace it and I need help with setting it up Altivar 320 VFD + ESS Smoothstepper + Mach4 + Gecko G540
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connector.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	26977  

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    One other thing that should be done is to replace a power connector because the one that comes with 2.2kW spindle is not rated to 10A, but to something way below it.
    About a month ago my HY VFD went up in smoke due to an arc that went across pins of my spindle power connector.
    There is nothing wrong with the connector.

If the plug is not fitted correctly or is loose or a wire falls off the vfd will blow up. Always fit a cable strain clamp to the Z axis.

Never unplug the spindle or put any switch in thee cable from the vfd when the vfd in on.
    Last edited by Clive S; 07-01-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    +1 on what Clive has to say.

Happened to me recently - I was using a cable clamp so it had me scratching my head for a bit - turned out I had an oversized blob of solder on one of my pins that shorted against the inside of the connector's sleeve. Was purely luck that it hadn't done that before - I'd recently moved my machine into a new workspace and had to unplug and re-assemble everything - something moved and I wasn't as lucky this time around... Made quite a pop!

Wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Apple View Post
    Today I'm looking at a new Altivar 320 to replace it and I need help with setting it up Altivar 320 VFD + ESS Smoothstepper + Mach4 + Gecko G540
    You are correct, some suppliers supply undersized/under rated connectors. Full load current of a three phase motor is not split between phases. However your spindle might never draw the full load current. But if your motor is rated for say 10A that means ten amps per phase and you should have a cable and plug that is rated minimum 10A...:)

...just to add, a loose connection is obviously something that will likely damage any connector no matter the current rating

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    +1 on what Clive has to say.

Happened to me recently - I was using a cable clamp so it had me scratching my head for a bit - turned out I had an oversized blob of solder on one of my pins that shorted against the inside of the connector's sleeve. Was purely luck that it hadn't done that before - I'd recently moved my machine into a new workspace and had to unplug and re-assemble everything - something moved and I wasn't as lucky this time around... Made quite a pop!

Wal.
    A good reason for putting Hellerman or heat-shrink sleeving over each pin/wire.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    You are correct, some suppliers supply undersized/under rated connectors. Full load current of a three phase motor is not split between phases. However your spindle might never draw the full load current. But if your motor is rated for say 10A that means ten amps per phase and you should have a cable and plug that is rated minimum 10A...:)

...just to add, a loose connection is obviously something that will likely damage any connector no matter the current rating
    I have fitted well into the 100's of these Chinese spindles and I've had ZERO fail due to the connectors not being able to handle the load.
    In my experience, the only weak link (other than being lower quality to brand names) with these spindles/VFD's is a lack of cable restraint. Both at the Spindle and the VFD you need to restrain the cable so the don't move around. I've only ever had 3 fails with connector faults and all of them where because the cable restraint I'd fitted had been left unconnected after the customer had moved or adjusted spindle etc and not fastened cables back up.

It's common sense really. . . which isn't so common these days.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Oh yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I have fitted well into the 100's of these Chinese spindles and I've had ZERO fail due to the connectors not being able to handle the load.
    In my experience, the only weak link (other than being lower quality to brand names) with these spindles/VFD's is a lack of cable restraint. Both at the Spindle and the VFD you need to restrain the cable so the don't move around. I've only ever had 3 fails with connector faults and all of them where because the cable restraint I'd fitted had been left unconnected after the customer had moved or adjusted spindle etc and not fastened cables back up.

From your reply i would say you are unaware of proper wiring and component selection requirements :)

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    From your reply i would say you are unaware of proper wiring and component selection requirements :)
    I seriously doubt that Jazz is unaware of anything to do with CNC.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information