. .
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I think the finger really needs to be pointed at the people who fitted GX16-type connectors in the first place - the spindle manufacturers. Looking at spec sheets, these do seem to be nominally rated at 5A, although quite how "hard" a limit that is is open to discussion. I'm not sure that the connectors are capable of even taking a cable that is nominally rated for 10A.

In practice, in the amateur machines where these spindles are typically used, I doubt that they often are used for continuous currents like this. Attention to proper cable management and avoiding flex in the connectors is probably a bigger issue. My own spindle and HY VFD are now in use in a second router and are about 7 years old, still going strong. In fact, outlived the PC and monitor that drive the machine, both of which have needed replacement in that time...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200107_164424.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	27012

The connector on the left is a GX16, the one on the right is a spindle connector.

Internally they are a bit different, the spindle connector is a much higher current and voltage rating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200107_165445.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	287.5 KB 
ID:	27013

You can plug the GX16 into a spindle, but it is a sloppy fit and not a good connection.

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    From your reply i would say you are unaware of proper wiring and component selection requirements :)
    Well, you'd be wrong but your reply tells me you have little to no experience of these Spindles.! . . . However, Lets put this to the test because I know lots of folks on this Forum have these spindles and see how many on this forum have had issues with loads and pins/connector.?

So Hands up who as one of these spindles and as had troubles with the pins NOT handling the loads.! By this I mean Pins burning out or catching fire due to excessive load and not spindles blowing up because pins touched due to poor soldering/insulation or bad cable management.!

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post

You can plug the GX16 into a spindle, but it is a sloppy fit and not a good connection.
    I use a bunch of GX16 (at least, that's what the Aliexpress seller called them!) for signal connections on my control box and never actually put one alongside the spindle connector to look at the difference. Just assumed that they were the same as they are superficially very similar. So much for assumptions! Surprised if they had a much higher current rating as the pin/socket size must be very similar but I guess that it's all down to how well they fit, spring mechanism, etc. Thanks for the correction, Rob - if I ever need to replace my spindle connector I'll make sure I get the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Apple View Post
    One other thing that should be done is to replace a power connector because the one that comes with 2.2kW spindle is not rated to 10A, but to something way below it.
    About a month ago my HY VFD went up in smoke due to an arc that went across pins of my spindle power connector.
    Today I'm looking at a new Altivar 320 to replace it and I need help with setting it up Altivar 320 VFD + ESS Smoothstepper + Mach4 + Gecko G540
    Your picture looks as though you had some conductive contamination in the connector on the spindle.

Hi Brian,

I have a feeling that the spindle connectors are GX-20 or a derivation thereof. I am pretty sure that the GX series started out as aviation audio connectors (pilot's headset) and have been taken on by the world of amateur CNC. They are useful connectors though, but probably a bit too lightweight to chew mains voltages, but OK for small steppers and signals.

Cheers,

Rob

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >because pins touched due to poor soldering

Hehe. Dean, the soldering was good, it's just that there was too much of good soldering..! ;)

Wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    >because pins touched due to poor soldering

Hehe. Dean, the soldering was good, it's just that there was too much of good soldering..! ;)

Wal.
    Not the first wal, won't be the last and it's all good learning, expensive but good..

Hi Brian,

I have a feeling that the spindle connectors are GX-20 or a derivation thereof. I am pretty sure that the GX series started out as aviation audio connectors (pilot's headset) and have been taken on by the world of amateur CNC. They are useful connectors though, but probably a bit too lightweight to chew mains voltages, but OK for small steppers and signals.

Cheers,

Rob
    Looking at the connector on my spindle it's a tad larger than a GX-20 (I'm wiring up a load of those at the moment!), maybe more like a GX-25?? They have a voltage rating of 400V RMS in a 4 pole according to the Renhotec catalogue, so ought to be OK for most of the time. The only issue once in a blue moon might be spikes due to ringing as a consequence of poor cable, long cable runs etc. increasing the peak voltage.

Hi Brian,

Cheers,

Rob
    Yes, i have found some spindles with these audio connectors. Also found guys using audio screened cable on 2.2Kw spindle motors. That is why i said some suppliers wrongly use these connectors. And some diy hobby builders use the wrong cables.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information