. .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    The logic being that it can be quite cheap to invest in especially if you buy something because you actually like it.
    Sweet, dose that mean you now have a price in mind for "x1pcs Sitting Man 2" ? I'd like to click the Buy It Now button ?

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 13-03-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Sweet, dose that mean you now have a price in mind for "x1pcs Sitting Man 2" ? I'd like to click the Buy It Now button ?

.Me
    Shot myself in the bloody foot there lol !! Still dont know, I know this though, the wood is about £3 not much... took me about 4 hours to create it and get/convert into G-code, and then 8 hours on the CNC, 2 hours to finish it off. take away the creating part, becasue thats spread over anymore i make ( Max of 50), its still 10 hours work plus 8 hours of electricty .. you see where I'm going I had never thought of this part before.. so if you were making a one off job with those stats what would you charge ?

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Again, very nice. G.

Fivetide i think you have answered your own question. Problem you are just be too nice to come out and say it .

If you think of it as commodity then you already know the price plus 40% markup. Problem is this is art and there is more in the piece than just time, electrickery and pc time. If it was me then i would scare the willies out of Lee and say £10,000
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Again, very nice. G.
    Thanks Geof and I thought you were supposed to be a grumpy old B'stard lol :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Fivetide i think you have answered your own question. Problem you are just be too nice to come out and say it .

If you think of it as commodity then you already know the price plus 40% markup. Problem is this is art and there is more in the piece than just time, electrickery and pc time. If it was me then i would scare the willies out of Lee and say £10,000
    damn I need to get the tinfoil RobinHood hat out ... cause someones in my mind lol ...!! Spot on mate you nailed it on the head .... I would rather Lee made me a "private" offer that way I dont fcuk up and sell myself short.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Geof and I thought you were supposed to be a grumpy old B'stard lol :)

damn I need to get the tinfoil RobinHood hat out ... cause someones in my mind lol ...!! Spot on mate you nailed it on the head .... I would rather Lee made me a "private" offer that way I dont fcuk up and sell myself short.
    In an earlier post I referred to myself as grey old git, don't know where the grumpy bit came from. I can only guess someone has been talking to my wife!!!

The general advice about pricing is very sound. It is always difficult to establish a name in the art world, many people have already carved up sheep - they are usually referred to as butchers! I think that a good starting place for your items would be on a site like etsy and see what interest develops. Another option would be to try to get a gallery to display some items. Limiting the numbers to 50 per edition is a good idea. Just my own opinion. Good luck, G.

Experimenting with woods and finishes.. light one is Tulip satin coat and the darker one is African Mahogany with a polished surface

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	543.7 KB 
ID:	8468

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0475.JPG 
Views:	532 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	8467

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Shot myself in the bloody foot there lol !! Still dont know, I know this though, the wood is about £3 not much... took me about 4 hours to create it and get/convert into G-code, and then 8 hours on the CNC, 2 hours to finish it off. take away the creating part, becasue thats spread over anymore i make ( Max of 50), its still 10 hours work plus 8 hours of electricty .. you see where I'm going I had never thought of this part before.. so if you were making a one off job with those stats what would you charge ?

Pricing is a very subjective thing.
    I know the bits I sell, my effective hourly rate works out a bit low, but that's due to machinery limitations. It's still high enough to make it worthwhile, but the main thing is it's letting me work towards better machines, which will ultimately lead to a higher effective hourly rate.

You've got to figure do you want to sell more at a lower price, or less at a higher price?
    And how much do they really cost you to machine?

9. Fivetide,

I have sent a PM with my cell number, give me a call and will chat as we have and are going through the same issue and I will gladly let you know what we put in our formula to figure pricing and you might have some ideas that help us as well. It is difficult to figure the price as there is a lot that goes into it.

Michael

Soooo after a lengthy and very informative conversation with Mike I have decided to sell the artwork at £250 each. My rational has changed after speaking with Mike, there is a lot of things I didn’t factor in. Anyway they are a one off piece you could never replicate any of them as you would never find the wood to do it, because quite frankly it’s gone, the artwork itself is totally original I handcrafted it using software. that might sound a bit strange that I use software to create art but the vast majority of art these days especially in digital media is created using software. It helps people like me who are not gifted artists to be all to realise and create something easily or should I say easier.The actual sculpting of course could be replicated precisely but like I said these are completely one-off pieces albeit in different woods. The problem is that any less than that would make them uncollectible based on the fact that I undersold them. And as I discussed with other people that make bespoke items no one would take you seriously, thinking you basically have someone in China making them for you and you're just a retailer. And quite frankly it wouldn't be worth my time to reproduce or sit down and do the creative side. So that is my rationale and I'm sticking with it, maybe I won't sell any and have to give them away to family and friends but hey that's life. I do know that some of my friends and a few of my family will be quite happy to have them as gifts.
    Last edited by Fivetide; 15-03-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information