. .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Round this way there are a lot of coffee type shops that will let artists hang stuff on the walls. One of my sons use to put stuff up in one of them a few years ago, sold a few pictures but gave up doing it because it also led to people asking him to paint specific types of picture for them rather than what he wanted to do. The customers were always over the moon with what he did but he was never happy with them & just gave up doing it. I suppose that's artists for you lol
    Hi Martin, yes I know artist are fickle beasts, he obviously loved what he did and not what he might get for it. I have applied to a couple of craft guilds locally if nothing else a panel may like my stuff and want to have a few piece in a n exhibition. This is the north mate coffee shops are rare but I do live near Lytham St Anne’s so there is a lot of collectors in the area. But the majority of shops selling art buy in mass produced stuff and it’s not what I want to display next to lol.
    Here’s another piece I did this weekend in Tulip wood, I saw the raw would with this strong vein of black – purple and thought it would add a bit of difference to the finished object.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sittingmanfreckart.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	525.8 KB 
ID:	8543

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

David don't think the money was important to him as with a lot of artists, was more about producing work that he was proud of & others liked.
    I'm further North than you lol & although there may not be a coffee shop on every street there are a few about if you look. Normally high street sort of locations where you get a high volume of people passing through.
    I wouldn't be looking at places that sell mass produced art either, different sort of customer from what you want entirely. Plus they would probably be looking to buy direct from you really cheaply so they could mark up to make a big profit rather than sell on a commission basis.
    I do like the idea of sets that has been mentioned which would encourage people to buy more than one piece. If you produced say 3 or 4 pieces with a common theme or something linking them like say a sitting woman, same sitting pregnant woman & same sitting woman with child.
    I wouldn't make them all as sets as not everyone will want that sort of thing but if you had a selection it might help.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Thinking about it, the last time I went to the botanical gardens in brum the tea shop had expanded into an art gallery where local artists were displaying work with £100 - £5000 price tags attached.

Might be worth visiting all the local RHS/English Heritage/PlacesThatToffsLikeToGo sites see if they have similar facilities for local artists or if they would be interested in displaying your work for a cut of course...

I agree about it not being about the money. The thing is with this sort of stuff, do you want her down the road buying it because it goes with her cushions and pay peanuts? or the guy up on the hill that agrees with the art and shows his appreciation. If this was not the case then we would all be able to buy rhino horn and ivory in the local cafe. Art should be an individual pieces with a price tag that is show in the quality and inspiration of the piece? To make it truly a one off maybe think about destruction of the code and drawings after each piece is finished? In terms of sets they should be made all at the same time and sold as individual pieces. For a collector that would make it all about the chase.

Rob who does the cartoons does not do them all the time. He sells them at the same place and has a small following. He is an artist and loves his work, it is not about the money just the satisfaction that others enjoy his work.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

5. Was chatting to my bro (he says thanks for the feedback btw) about artists collectives and he did a google search and came up with this:

PAD Gallery

There a number of other possibles on that site too.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Was chatting to my bro (he says thanks for the feedback btw) about artists collectives and he did a google search and came up with this:

PAD Gallery

There a number of other possibles on that site too.
    Thanks guys and thanks for the link Irving I have emailed them with a link to my work .. fingers crossed they might display some :) I need to sell some of them so I can by a bigger badder machine and make some bigger pieces.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information