Hi all.

So, some of you may already know im reasonably new to this, so only finding my way around software. ive not officially chosen what software I intend to use. so open to suggestions if im barking up the wrong tree.

Ive presently had a lot of success with vcarve... well im pleased anyway...
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130304_064818.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	8361

Im trying to move to the next step, and draw something in a cad package. then import it into vcarve so that I can set toolpaths. Im presently using google sketchup free with the free dxf plugin

in sketchup i draw a rectangle

Name:	sketchup1.png 
Views:	345 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	8362

i then draw a rectangle on top. (I wish to pocket this area out)

Name:	sketchup2.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	8363

I then save it as a dxf >> milimeters >> lines

and open it in vcarve

Name:	vcarve.png 
Views:	384 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	8364

lovely.

but when I select a rectangle it doesnt quite understand!

Name:	vcarve2.png 
Views:	373 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	8365

Ive found the 'Node Edit' options, but the only option that seems to help is to delete a point. but then i have to re-draw the line (which just isnt ideal or accurate)

Its as-if each of the rectangles dont remain vectors? Ive tried ungrouping but thats greyed out.

At the moment, it appears the only real option ive got it to attempt to draw accurately directly in vcarve. but as its missing standard tools like snap to line, center point, the ability to type in a value when using the tape measure. its a bit awkard Which is a shame because short of this vcarve seems a great bit of kit

1.) Can anybody offer any miracle solutions? here is the vcarve file http://www.pensys.co.uk/sample.crv
2.) Or, perhaps recomend a different peace of software? for doing the 2d vectors... that imports nicely into vcarve?