. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi
    Ive been lurking a bit on youtube and openbuilds forum,
    was keen to get some vsolt extruded aluminium to build router

have noticed this site has some very interesting threads that ive yet to read.......

I have some experience using a hobby built MDF router, stopped using it due to noise and space constraints - then i thought id build a soundproof shed for it - then i realized it is a bit crap and i should upgrade or start from scratch

my old machine has 3 motors and lead screws and electronics. and not much else to reuse

a couple of nights ago i saw a steel tube machine on youtube and imagined i could magically acquire the skills to build such a unit

anyways heres a drawing ive been playing with today.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracket on gantry.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	16606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	north cnc.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	16607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	east cnc.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	16608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	16609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	16610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	16611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	16612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	16613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	218 
ID:	16614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	16615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ben steel cnc 2.jpg 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	16616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ben steel cnc.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	16617anyway thanks for looking, cheers ben
    Last edited by outtastep; 24-11-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spellin

photos are a bit all over the shop , this is the most recent version- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracket on gantry.jpg 
Views:	257 
ID:	16606most of the steel, like deck and y rails and gantry sides was to be 100x50mm steel maybe 2 or 3mm thick, with the gantry maybe 150x50. The X carriage is envisaged as a aluminium plate perhaps 10mm thick with lots of bearings either side, z bit aluminium plate made into a bit of a box. was hoping to get 250mm travel on Z. Gantry is 300mm above bed/ deck/base. Might be pushing it a bit with Z.
    With the base i was thinking of 5mm steel plate. there is also steel plate in corners of and holding ball screw ends/ motors.

im a bit concerned with having this type of supported rail as i have read some bad things about the here, also probably not the best having them on their side as per my x axis ?
    cheers ben
    Last edited by outtastep; 24-11-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Welcome to the forum Ben what do you intend to cut with this machine also it might be a good idea for you to read through some of the build logs on here.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Hi Clive,
    Im not 100% sure what ill be doing with machine. I have made signs in the past and some architectural models
    So mainly thinking of a machine for timber - but i like using some hardwood timber so would like machine to be robust ,
    I like the idea of having a bit of room to work with thicker materials, was even dreaming of having room for a rotating 4th axis to do something sculptural in the distant future !!!!!
    also is it a huge leap to attach plasma cutter to unit ? (good way to burn down a shed perhaps)
    cheers ben

Hi, welcome to the forum! I'f you're thinking of mostly machining wood then I'm guessing that 95% of the time you'll be cutting at full extension. This is going to create one hell of a lever with your current design of gantry and Z axis. I'd be inclined to think about making the gantry shorter and having some sort of adjustable table so that when you do want to cut thick materials (probably the 5% of the tine it's used) you can lower it.
    Neil...

Build log...here

7. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

hi Neil, Yeah the z has me worried. Like you say i was thinking of making a box for building up height if cutting sheet product,
    Just wanted the option to cut thicker stuff, but i supposed there is a limitation in depth of cut due to length of router bit ?

With the deep table i was thinking i could leave options for future 4th axis to turn timber,

(Also perhaps a water bath if machine could cut some steel plate attaching plasma )

all dreaming, just priced 16 mm screws and rails at over $800au$ (not including 1 1500mm Y ballscrew)

maybe i should price up vslot extruded aluminium option.....
    cheers

Where you getting your rails and ballscrew from?

I cut mostly sheet stuff and if I had to put a box there it would be a PITA. Plus you'd have to make the bix so strong that it would be like a second bed anyway to stop vibrations....
    Neil...

Build log...here

10. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

good point about vibrations Neil
    Think i might shorten travel by 75-100
    as for hardware, bit out of my budget at the moment- maybe i should build intermediate machine that reuses stuff i have.....
    have a good one, cheers
    ben

stiffened x carriageClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ben x carr detail.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	16624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ben x carriage.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	16625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ben new x carriage.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	16626 connection to gantry by having rails top and bottom

reasons for wanting high z - adaptable for possible plasma bath, box to cut thin stuff, 4th rotating axisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ben steel cnc plasma.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	16627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ben steel cnc box.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	16628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ben steel cnc 4 axis.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	16629

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information