. .
    Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone here has has either a bridgeport series 1 cnc or mdi? I need to know what taper the spindle is. I bought a machine recently, which came with no tooling and so I have no way of knowing what it takes. I thought it was QC30, but then I saw a machine for sale that said BT30, I thought they were the same, but then read about a guy converting 1 to another, so obviously they aren't the same?? My spindle just has a large nut to which I don't even have the tool to tighten... Also, if anyone knows a good place to source the relevant tooling then that would help, as I haven't seen much on ebay.

Thanks,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsticksplinter View Post
    I bought a machine recently, which came with no tooling and so I have no way of knowing what it takes.
    That makes two of us Adam! I bought an FK12 bearing mount off eBay recently, and I'm damned if I know where the little threaded nut thingy should go......

I have an MDI and a shed load of brand new tooling to go with it.
    They are INT 30 taper but the flanges is smaller and thicker than the standard INT 30 tooling.
    Spanner is very simple, you could get one laser cut cheaper than hunting for one.
    John S -

I bought an FK12 bearing mount off eBay recently, and I'm damned if I know where the little threaded nut thingy should go
    Haha, I think you bought that from me actually?? The little threaded nut is supposed to thread onto the end of your machined ballscrew... thats if you have it machined that way. The other end should be FF12 (floating) and this just has a single bearing with the ballscrew retained with a circlip.

They are INT 30 taper but the flanges is smaller and thicker than the standard INT 30 tooling
    So how do you come by the tooling to fit properly?? Ahh, yes a laser cut spanner is probably much easier, now to CAD....

So how do you come by the tooling to fit properly?? Ahh, yes a laser cut spanner is probably much easier, now to CAD....
    I had it made in China to a drawing
    John S -

I had it made in China to a drawing
    Did that cost much and do you have the contact please? Oh and just to be cheeky, you wouldn't have the drawing??

Can't remember what the cost was but it was a minimum 50 piece order, sold some which paid for them being done and kept 20 pieces for myself.
    Yes I do have the drawing, I'll look it out and email it to you.

Rotagrip do them in ER32 for £68 each. Look for QC30 tooling.
    John S -

Haha, I think you bought that from me actually?? The little threaded nut is supposed to thread onto the end of your machined ballscrew... thats if you have it machined that way. The other end should be FF12 (floating) and this just has a single bearing with the ballscrew retained with a circlip.
    Thanks Adam.... Indeed I bought it from you but a few days ago and am happy with the deal! There's no place to hide in this brave new world ;-) lol

Thread Information