. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

I've built a 4x4 router belt drive router table for cutting foam board. I use a gecko g540, mach3.
    My X axis has two motors, with A being a slave of X.
    I have 2 x limit switches each end of the X, Y, Z

Looking at the whole table head on as if the X axis comes towards and goes away from you I assume that the norm is to have the table home to the back left hand corner. To me looking down the table thats the far lefthand back corner. is that the normal homing area?

Does anyone have screen grabs to set up the homing for this 4 axis table, I followed the Mach3 instructions but we keep on having problems with something and i'd like to eliminate our Mach3 setup incase its a wiring issue.

Any links or direct screen images welcome.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keyboard layout.jpg 
Views:	1280 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	8393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xyz.jpg 
Views:	3366 
Size:	466.5 KB 
ID:	8394
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4 table.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	8392  
    Last edited by marbles; 09-03-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: update

2. On my 6040 I have home as the front left hand side. +Y is to the rear of the machine, +X to the right and +Z to the top.
    No home/limit switches as yet.
    Last edited by tumutbound; 11-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Regards
    Geoff
    My home

I home to front left side (Your X+, Y-, Z-)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Home can be anywhere you want it, provided you set the offsets right.

Some people will home at a front corner to get easy access to the spindle, while some will home at the rear to improve loading/unloading. You could even home in the middle of the table if you really wanted to, it's just a case of setting the home offset in Mach.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Home can be anywhere you want it, provided you set the offsets right.

Some people will home at a front corner to get easy access to the spindle, while some will home at the rear to improve loading/unloading. You could even home in the middle of the table if you really wanted to, it's just a case of setting the home offset in Mach.
    Hi and If that`s the case, how would you set mach3 with appropriate directions of travel - I`m quite a novice and at one point I even had my cutting file upside down and off the defined table
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

If that`s the case, how would you set mach3 with appropriate directions of travel
    You can't change the directions of travel. Mach3 uses the Cartesian Coordinate System, and each axis has to move a specific direction relative to the others.

Now, you can have the machine home to anyplace you want. to do that, use the Home Offset settings and use the Home Negative option to make sure the machine travels in the correct direction to find the switches.
    I have my X axis home offset set to 45, and home to the positive X direction. So my home switch is at X = 45, and machine zero is at the opposite end from the switch.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Hmm I think I worded it wrongly. I would like my top left corner to be my 0,0 and bottom right to be +1000,+750 like a sheet of print, I have used coreldraw like this for so long my tired old brain struggles with anything else. are you saying this cant be done? or that home wouldn`t be at machine 0,0?
    Last edited by baldwelder; 01-06-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

If the top left is 0,0, then bottom right would be +1000, -750.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by baldwelder View Post
    Hmm I think I worded it wrongly. I would like my top left corner to be my 0,0 and bottom right to be +1000,+750 like a sheet of print, I have used coreldraw like this for so long my tired old brain struggles with anything else. are you saying this cant be done? or that home wouldn`t be at machine 0,0?
    You certainly can set up Mach3 to do that - it's just a matter of setting the "direction" flags appropriately in Mach3. However, if you think that you might addle your brain to do it the "conventional" way, then you are going to get double-addled with spots on if you then want to use any CAM software. Everything - and that means everything - assumes a right-handed coordinate system. What you are trying to do is set up a left-handed coord system, and you are going to be out of step with the rest of the world. Forget any CAM software, unless you want to draw everything as a mirror of the desired object so that it comes out right on the machine. It's really worth doing the same way as everyone else, and accept that there will be a short learning curve to climb. Definitely the lesser of two evils...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Look up the meaning of "Convention"

:D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information