. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Now got a load of bumph all down the right hand side of the window restricting the messages.

Worked OK before, why change ?

If it's you Lee stop pissing about changing something not broke. If you need something to do go it the workshop and BUILD something
    If you bothered to read what was in the sidebar you would have seen its a duplication of what is in the "TOPSTATS" section at the top of the forum home, this was done with YOU in mind John.

The change is a rollup to what will come for the final design/layout, i call it "easing in". Why would'nt i improve and develop some thing that is so successful.

I am in my workshop and building things :), i've looked over everything on the forum and cant see anything technical that is restricting messages, so you'll have to give me a clue if its something other than your own personal taste?

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I've only just started to find my way round the forum, and now it is changed.
    Other than the colour scheme nothing has changed, will address this more in my replys below.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Are we following cnczone? Must admit I'm not liking this either.
    Negative they follow us .

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    My forum front-page looks terrible..... Amongst other confusing changes, my Count-of-views and Count-of posts and Jump-to-Last-Post have all gone..... Woe is Me!!!!!!

Reckon Lee is probably relaxing under the sun in the Seychelles...... Playing on his I-Thingy........ And laughing at us poor sods struggling with the forum!
    Hi Andy, count of views and posts has now been replaced with date and time for the last post to a thread, also the jump to last post has now gone as well because now you can click the thread title and that will take you to the same location (the first unread post).

lol yea right, sunny Wigan for me, dont own any i-thingys, definitely not laughing at you (not that kind of person) if you have any other problems please feel free to shot me a PM and ill do what i can to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    I think not, the Zone main page looks unfinished and less profesional than it used to, Its lost its fluidity. I think its time this site had a spruce up, and yes i will have to find stuff again but thats the price of keeping with the times. The same happened to me when they went from type writers to word processors and then to computers. And dont forget he is doing this in real time while the site is live so we dont know where it will end up, you may even like it...

Rick
    I agree, was watching the site as they made the changes, it now looks like they have installed a paid for theme/style or something, i've also noticed a few things i've done here they are now doing, that's nice because the zone gave me the idea for this forum and so on originally.

Fluidity is very important when it comes to web design and user experience, my plan for this forum is to remove allot of the "bumph" and noise that the forum software comes with out of the box and to stream line the direction of travel towards the content that is here and what people are looking for, what you see now is roughly what the final design looks like with just the header to the forum being reworked, there will be small changes in and around the forum but nothing major and definitely for the better.

There wont really be a need to find anything again, it should end up a lot easier to navigate the site. Some things i am going to condense down, an example of this is the toplinks at the very top most right "Welcome, Lee Roberts Notifications My Profile Settings Log Out", this just dosnt need to be a line of links and so will become a drop down menu off of your User Name and with some additional cosmetic enhancements.

Yes had to do these changes in real time, no other way to do it. Hopfully the final new look will be as simple as installing my custom style into the forum style manager and everything should just work, giving us an instant change. Things sneek in though so all i can do is make sure my development forum match's this one and then go for it :).

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it always helps and is needed some times.

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    It's the beginning of the end John. This forum as we know it will soon die & be replaced by a forum populated mostly with nothing.

I've seen it before on many sites over the years. The forum owner discovers they can make £money from the people that populate the forum & soon become focused on nothing more than making £money.

After pocketing a few £100's they wonder why all the people have disappeared.

I truly believe this forum owes its very existence to CNCZone, it is a poor imitation of it & its modest success is based upon it being UK focused.

Maybe the forum was created purely to build a user base that can then be exploited? I don't know.

But I do know that I've been here & done this before, learn't my lesson & formed the conclusion that once it becomes all about £money, then it's time for me to say goodbye.

Goodbye.

& a BIG thankyou to the folks who've shared their knowledge & not only educated but also entertained me without one eye on earning a quick £quid so far. See you all on the next forum to come along.
    Ive an idea? why dont you show us how to do it?? Oh and dont forget the hosting fees, domain registration, search engine ratings, and the list goes on and on, and guess what, its not free..

I think the site owner does a good job in keeping this site free to its members and the advertising is related to the subject matter, so not a problem in fact ive used the odd link to buy stuff in the past, I for one am thankfull its here. Ive never been asked to contribute anything, it cost me nothing, and im up for anything that keeps the site here, and the costs and the owners end, and i hope he makes loads of cash from it too.

Oh and before i forget..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	type writer.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	8399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	computer.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	8395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q basic.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	8398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	8396

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old pics.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	8397

Things move on so fast dont they, maybe not always for the better, or maybe they are...

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    I quite like it to be honest.
    Thanks ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    It's the beginning of the end John. This forum as we know it will soon die & be replaced by a forum populated mostly with nothing.

I've seen it before on many sites over the years. The forum owner discovers they can make £money from the people that populate the forum & soon become focused on nothing more than making £money.

After pocketing a few £100's they wonder why all the people have disappeared.

I truly believe this forum owes its very existence to CNCZone, it is a poor imitation of it & its modest success is based upon it being UK focused.

Maybe the forum was created purely to build a user base that can then be exploited? I don't know.

But I do know that I've been here & done this before, learn't my lesson & formed the conclusion that once it becomes all about £money, then it's time for me to say goodbye.

Goodbye.

& a BIG thankyou to the folks who've shared their knowledge & not only educated but also entertained me without one eye on earning a quick £quid so far. See you all on the next forum to come along.
    You clearly dont know me or what im about, i suggest having a read of some of the other threads that have gone before this one, you'll read for yourself then what is to come and its not the end believe me! If it was about making money i wouldn't spend the time i do in threads like this one.

Your right i did get the idea of starting a UK focused cnc forum from the zone, its no imitation though thats for sure and i'm glad you agree its a success.

Define exploited, this forum was started as a build log more or less for my first diy cnc machine and has evolved into what it is now for and on behalf of the people that started coming to it and using it, trust me i dont need to do this kind of thing to make money!

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    If you bothered to read what was in the sidebar you would have seen its a duplication of what is in the "TOPSTATS" section at the top of the forum home, this was done with YOU in mind John.

.Me
    Why duplicate anything ?

Tell me what is wrong with this on a page full of replies ?

John S -

Why duplicate anything ?

Tell me what is wrong with this on a page full of replies ?
    Because eventually the TOPSTATS on the forum home page that myself, you and a few others i know of like is going on the new design, so rather than remove it, first i have replicated what we get from it on the side bar, the idea was it would give people time to find what is in the side bar and adjust to using it.

The TOTSTATS is a 3rd party addon for vB and i dont want to support it anymore, it gives us nothing that isnt already here and the sidebar now has the same content, so its just extra queries and conflict for the new design for no reason.

Other than being a little over the 50 word optimal line length for reading print, i cant see anything wrong ?

.Me
    .Me

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    This forum upgrade, can you hide the for sale section from the hobnob ninja yet?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to D.C. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    This forum upgrade, can you hide the for sale section from the hobnob ninja yet?
    Rolmao
    Now thats funny..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

I like it, thanks for the efforts Lee,

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fivetide For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Safe for a bit lads.

This landed on Friday.

John S -

Safe for a bit lads.

This landed on Friday.

Naaa you dont need that one you want the blue one. Let me take that and look after it while you wait for your replacement...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information