. .
    Hi i know this i a long shot but fingers crossed you could help.
    Dose anyone know or is capable of milling foam from a 3d cad file,to reproduce car panels a link and picture below of what i am talking about.

Many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02209.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	836  
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 03-09-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added photo

Umm - me?

Well, I should say that I'm in the process of building a machine to do just that; it's not quite ready to start, so what kind of timescales are you after.

Oh, and Hi

ETA: also, is it full 3D you're after? The process I'm doing is orientated towards a block-based 2.5D, and there'll be some manual processing to put the blocks together. However, since I'm the intended market, it doesn't worry me

Quote Originally Posted by tribbles View Post
    Umm - me?

Well, I should say that I'm in the process of building a machine to do just that; it's not quite ready to start, so what kind of timescales are you after.

Oh, and Hi

ETA: also, is it full 3D you're after? The process I'm doing is orientated towards a block-based 2.5D, and there'll be some manual processing to put the blocks together. However, since I'm the intended market, it doesn't worry me
    Not in to much of a rush more out to source someone who can do it, looking for 3d but block based would be fine.
    Timescale depends on how much your gonna charge me lol.
    Thanks for the reply Simon

What are the overall sizes of the finished pieces?

Just getting my head round 3D milling at the moment using FeatureCam so anything is possible with the software, it is just the machine that creates the limitations....

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonSteve View Post
    What are the overall sizes of the finished pieces?

Just getting my head round 3D milling at the moment using FeatureCam so anything is possible with the software, it is just the machine that creates the limitations....
    Actually 100% same scale model as a real life car panels, need quarter panels and wings ect made. Thanks for the swift response.

Quote Originally Posted by allkarma View Post
    Not in to much of a rush more out to source someone who can do it, looking for 3d but block based would be fine.
    Timescale depends on how much your gonna charge me lol.
    Thanks for the reply Simon
    At the moment, we (it's a joint venture between myself and a kit car manufacturer) haven't really got an idea as to costs. We know that to do a full car, you're looking at about £3000 for just the blocks themselves, but for something where you'd need to prep it a bit before taking the mold [namely coating it in something a bit harder), then the foam can be £1000.

Obviously we'll get a better idea when we've got a car done

Note that we did look at getting someone to do it as well - from memory, it was about £6k for a rough cut (it would need coating in clay), or £24k for a fine cut.

Thread Information