. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    makes my clock gears look sh1te

outstanding work sir. top of the class

Ive absorbed all your pointers though regarding cutters etc. and just placed an order for some two flute carbide cutters. I also need to think about extraction as combined with fag ash i doubt the mdf is doing my lungs any favours.

also, you come across as a very tidy worker. your workshop looks like an operating theatre and this shows in the quality of your work.

you mentioned modelling board? what is this? As im also still learning im keen to try as many different materials as I can.
    I spent £50 on saturday on what is supposed to be Far Eastern Marine ply. but it splinters and frays I think ive just got a bad batch from a bad supplier. But like the look of this material...

So how did you align it to do both sides?

I usually but the piece against a fixed bar to get it in line on one axis and then jog the cutter to a hole on the piece in a known place to align the other axis.

I'm off to make a waveguide today!
    Last edited by Tenson; 12-03-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    you mentioned modelling board? what is this? As im also still learning im keen to try as many different materials as I can.
    Thanks!

This is the stuff:

Polyurethane (PU) 580 Model Board Tooling Block in High Density - Easy Composites

Machines brilliantly although tough on cutters and isn't cheap for what it is. If you need a material that'll give you a super fine finish when sanded, this gives you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    So how did you align it to do both sides?

I usually but the piece against a fixed bar to get it in line on one axis and then jog the cutter to a hole on the piece in a known place to align the other axis.

I'm off to make a waveguide today!
    The method your using isn't accurate enough. Not for a two sided part because any error is going to be multiplied by a factor of 2 when flipping it over

Two reference edges cut in a surfaced jig to align the stock parallel to the X and Y and make sure its flat. Then 4 dowel holes were drilled through the jig, table and stock. Took awhile to figure out but its very simple and effective. All datums were at home switch position because the part couldn't move or misalign thanks to the dowels. That meant no probing needed and one less potential error that could creep in.

Nice work mate , what you selling those monkey coffins for I would be very interested :) ?

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    So for the rear side it was an entire day but only a couple of those hours were spent cutting. The rest was head scratching
    Ye and 2 hours on phone to me shitting bricks on best way to do it. . . . . . . Looks good thou Bud.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ye and 2 hours on phone to me shitting bricks on best way to do it. . . . . . . Looks good thou Bud.
    Thats why we need you Jazz!!! G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Thats why we need you Jazz!!! G.
    Nah folks need me like a dose of clap mate.!! . . . . But Not been around much due to on going Health/family issues but try to pop on when can.!

Big respect for Ant because when you've probably only less than 20 real cuts under your belt and your cutting £300 block material with Zero Fubar room then think I'd have been wanting to check and bounce off someone.!! . . . . He's done amazing really.!
    Just coding the job would be an handful for most new CNC users never mind Flipping and re-registering to high tolerance.

Your'e right Jazz, that is a fantastic job that Ant has done and deserves full credit for it (bravery too). Sorry to hear you have some health/family problems and hope they will soon be resolved. I think we all miss your discreet comments.I hope you will soon be back on the circuit giving your subtle advice. G.

I was wondering where Jazz had got to. Hadn't seen any recent activity from him, anyway hope you get better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Two reference edges cut in a surfaced jig to align the stock parallel to the X and Y and make sure its flat. Then 4 dowel holes were drilled through the jig, table and stock. Took awhile to figure out but its very simple and effective.
    Ant, if you don't mind and when you got time, I'd appreciate it if you could make a short video of the above method. I just can't get it round my head. Doesn't have to be another £300 speaker mould, lol, just a piece of scrap for visualisation.

Cheers Adil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information