. .
    evening gents.
    I know this isnt strictly CNC, but Im making it on my cnc so il post here until somebody tells me to go away. :D

I am planning on making a wooden clock. When I was travelling though thailand many years ago I once saw a big old exposed gear wooden clock. I thought it was the most amazing thing Id ever seen and vowed one day Id make one. Ive got a big fireplace in the lounge with a big central pillar. which I plan to eventually house it.

This, to be fair is one of the main reasons in which I made the CNC machine. So for now im still familarising myself with software, and gear logic.

Before you all post me links to these sights that sell free plans. I am already aware that these exist However im perfectly happy sat here with the fire on, tinkering around re-inventing the wheel!!! I think il end up understanding it loads more and get exactly what I want if I build it myself.

so without further adieu (dont get too excited!)
    <span class="st">

I need to buy some bearings... Im thinking establish the diameter of M8 threadbar then find a bearing that slides flush over the m8 thread? any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    evening gents.
    I know this isnt strictly CNC, but Im making it on my cnc so il post here until somebody tells me to go away. :D

I am planning on making a wooden clock. When I was travelling though thailand many years ago I once saw a big old exposed gear wooden clock. I thought it was the most amazing thing Id ever seen and vowed one day Id make one. Ive got a big fireplace in the lounge with a big central pillar. which I plan to eventually house it.

This, to be fair is one of the main reasons in which I made the CNC machine. So for now im still familarising myself with software, and gear logic.

Before you all post me links to these sights that sell free plans. I am already aware that these exist However im perfectly happy sat here with the fire on, tinkering around re-inventing the wheel!!! I think il end up understanding it loads more and get exactly what I want if I build it myself.

so without further adieu (dont get too excited!)
    <span class="st">

I need to buy some bearings... Im thinking establish the diameter of M8 threadbar then find a bearing that slides flush over the m8 thread? any ideas?
    Im sure there are skate bearings with that ID. Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Hi King,

I to cant wait to have ago at a project like this, you can get radial bearings with an ID for 8mm i question how well the fit would be though on threaded rod. Do you have access to a lathe, i'm thinking you would be better off turning down some plain bar to a tight fit, then you could also flange one side to match the inner ring of the bearing, you could then use another ring on the other side of the bearing with a grub screw to lock it off.

Its abit tricky not knowing what you want to do with the bearing so i'm only guessing its to fix the center studd for the cog's ?

.Me
    .Me

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I suppose you could use ebony as a wood for the bearings as I think it is self oiling like in the John Harrison clocks.
    Nice project. Clive

Great idea for your first project (shouldn't need any padding). Will you go for an escapement movement, pendulum,spring or will you go for motor driven clock? Either way it will be interesting to see your design and work on the forum. G.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    .....so without further adieu (dont get too excited!)
    That's brilliant!

And when you've finished that, please make me one of these:

Wooden Calendar Clock by Lukas - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    That's brilliant!

And when you've finished that, please make me one of these:

Wooden Calendar Clock by Lukas - YouTube
    Fantastic, but I would think that would have to be 500th+ project. G.

Right, no video this time, but I think im there now with the gearing. Ive got seconds, minutes and hours although not on the same axis yet!. Just have to redo each of the gears now with nicer wood so here goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130313_214649.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	8441
    milled out of solid peace of mahogany. Shame about that knot in some ways but in others It couldnt of been in a better place.

bearings are to mount the cogs. Thing is, I can get engineering silver steel in round form to say 8mm then 8mm bearings but il have to think of a cunning way to fix the cog to stop it sliding up and down the shaft

enjoying myself nethertheless

soo need to level my bed properly see how the 1mm deep lettering is deeper on one side. schoolboy error
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 13-03-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Thread Information