. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    Hello everyone!

New member here and knowledge thirsty.
    So here goes my first question...My lathe X-axis drive(PKS-DIGIPLAN SD2) lights up a red LED. Then a TO-220 Transistor or maybe a triac, I have no idea what this may be found dead. It has a printed code _PKS0320 but nowhere in the Net I was able to find data or a cross reference for this . So, I have no idea what it may be . I am just guessing this has to be a triac. In the Parker SD2 drive user guide though, only block diagrams I have found so far. Electronic schematics of the boards... nowhere.

Just in case someone of you had access to a stepper drive like this and happen to know what kind of IC this is please help.

regards!

Asto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	denford_drive_ky.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	8546  
    Last edited by asto; 24-03-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: syntaxis errors

It's a power transistor and fairly common.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    Hi!
    Thanks for the response.
    I am confused. Google gives me zero results when entering the part code. It is not in <Find chips > data base.
    Do you know of any today's equivalent?
    If it is an NPN? Collector current...Source for data maybe?

cheers

Asto

4. Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    It's a power transistor and fairly common.
    Is it? i googled and checked other resources and couldn't find details....3020 throws up a to39 can medium power transistor, but 0320 gets no hits...

I beg your pardon gents, just checked the search result that i did earlier and i was wrong. close i can get is a darlington.

Hi to all!
    I have a feeling this search is going to end up to a success.
    Well, irving2008 sorry for that. What is printed on the plastic part of this transistor is not clear enough. Besides its date code reads 3283 imagine so many years since this was made. The only thing I know for sure is a TO220 package. No data other than what I see.
    The closest result I found today was from a cross ref. source PKS-323-01 But their description is totally some other thing. Not even the code as you can see came close.
    So, I keep searching.
    I'll have a photo of that part tomorrow.
    And hey, Swarfing...would you please send the link where this was described as a darlington. Two pieces of information I now need to get this drive back to life. If this is NPN, collector current and coll/emitter voltage.

cheers
    Last edited by asto; 25-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Asto i just checked out those sites that sell obsolete parts.

8. Asto

looks like that's a digiplan proprietary part number, common anti-copy practice in those days. given the age & specs of the driver i'd suggest 3 options:

1. trace the circuit to determine if npn or pnp then given the spec of the driver (2.5A, 24v IIRC) choose something appropriate in a modern transistor (6 - 10A Ice-max, Vce 100v+, which is likely to be better anyway on Vce-sat and hfe specs). TBH, given other things have may have died I'd not bother.

2. buy a replacement driver off ebay (or check if members such as JohnS have some left over from upgrades)

3. use this as opportunity to upgrade to modern drivers
    Last edited by irving2008; 26-03-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Asto

looks like that's a digiplan proprietary part number, common anti-copy practice in those days. given the age & specs of the driver i'd suggest 3 options:

1. trace the circuit to determine if npn or pnp then given the spec of the driver (2.5A, 24v IIRC) choose something appropriate in a modern transistor (6 - 10A Ice-max, Vce 100v+, which is likely to be better anyway on Vce-sat and hfe specs). TBH, given other things have may have died I'd not bother.

2. buy a replacement driver off ebay (or check if members such as JohnS have some left over from upgrades)

3. use this as opportunity to upgrade to modern drivers
    It seems I do not have choices here. So I better follow your advise irving but for upgrading I do not have a plan yet. And I think I know of at least one way to test this part off the pcb and see if it is a PNP or NPN.
    Thanks.

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PKS0320.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	8560  

Just a stab?

TIP32C-PKS

TIP32C-PKS - SEMILAB - Ashlea Components

PS

Just noticed their telephone number is a Swindon one?
    Last edited by Swarfing; 27-03-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information