. .
    Hi all, My Friend has asked me How to Use CNC to cut many items from an 8x4 x 1-2mm stainless sheet, he is making some odd shaped items that have an area of about 6" square but the edge finish has to be precise, and I couldn't think for the life of me how I would do it. What would you guys suggest for the cutting and holding, the nesting isn't a problem..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

S/S is notorious for wearing cutters out and you have to use slow speeds and high feeds to prevent work hardening. Complicated shapes are best cut using a none-contact method such as water jet, laser or plasma.

EDIT:
    Depending on quantity, would it be worth making press/punch tools from tool steel?
    Last edited by birchy; 27-03-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    S/S is notorious for wearing cutters out and you have to use slow speeds and high feeds to prevent work hardening. Complicated shapes are best cut using a none-tool method such as water jet, laser or plasma.
    Waterjet would be a no no for me, and well Plasma is not out of the question but the finish is not great when I use mine by hand, and I suspect although better with CNC its not that great either although I'm not Certain of that. And laser, well if I could have a laser that would cut 2mm metal of any kind I would jump at that but I understand the lasers cost a packet...

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

TBH, plasma would be a last resort as the finish usually requires a bit of fettlin'. Stainless will cut OK on a mill if you use Cobalt tools and suitable speeds and feeds with plenty of coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    TBH, plasma would be a last resort as the finish usually requires a bit of fettlin'. Stainless will cut OK on a mill if you use Cobalt tools and suitable speeds and feeds with plenty of coolant.
    On an 8x4 sheet I think plenty of coolant would be fun to say the least LOL I was wondering if it would be worth advising him to get a tool made for a press rather than a CNC..

Shearing would probably be the cleanest method but it depends how complex the piece is. Another off-the-cuff option is a CNC nibbler. Never seen one, but I'm sure they must exist.

In 1 to 2mm stainless a laser will give a very clean edge, yes I know they are expensive but you sub con the job out and pay by the cut inch [ or mm ]
    John S -

Here you go, one of these would probably do the job.

EUROMAC CNC PUNCHING MACHINES - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
    Here you go, one of these would probably do the job.

EUROMAC CNC PUNCHING MACHINES - YouTube
    What an incredible machine, and it says affordable too!! G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    What an incredible machine, and it says affordable too!! G.
    Very Cool gadget for sure, Affordable yehh to bill gates.

Rick

Thread Information