. .
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Hi All,

Total noob to the world of CNC, but not thick* - I'm sorta leaning toward thickendum at the moment though. I bought a Chinese CNC machine (yes I know now) and the controller a YooCNC is naff and couldn't cut a straight line if its life depended on it and it does so it's now one for the bin.

'Er indoors is getting a tad peeved shall we say at the fact that a) I bought a naff machine (eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d) and b) I gotta spend more money to fix it so with that said how do I go about sorting the controller, remembering the budget is getting slimmer coz I so wanna buy a Korg Oasys to pad out my ever growing synth collection

I've been looking at various controllers but this is where I get confused with amps watts and volts. The pictures attached are of the current controller internals showing Primary 220v Secondary 0-18v and 0-36v.
    Can I just buy for example one of these
    CNC 4 Axis TB6560 Stepper Driver Board Controller +CD | eBay
    and mate it to my existing PSU/controller box or would I be better off buying something like this New CNC Standard 4Axis TB6560 Stepper Driver Full Kit & Motor/PSU/Keypad/Display | eBay
    and just using my existing frame work which from what I can see is pretty damn solid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002_sml.jpg 
Views:	6618 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	8599
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008_sml.jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	8600
    Old naff controller box

Cheers
    Carl

Yaki Da carl

Before you go wasting more money on controllers similar to what you already have. Tell us more about your machine. Straight lines could be down to that and not the electronics. You could probably do with some settings changing if your loosing steps etc. pics are good
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I doubt if it's the electronics if it's cutting but not a straight line, that could be a number of things as has been said including the operator setting wrong speed & feed rates. Pictures would help as has been said. A video of it cutting would be even better.

Don't bother with those boards, they are the same as what you already have

Two choices.
    Either try to get it running better and from experience these boards do not like micro stepping, they loose steps. perhaps start here ?

Second choice is the box has a decent power supply so scrap the board and fit 3 decent drivers and a breakout board.
    see
    CNC Micro-Stepping Stepper Motor Driver 2M542 Bi-polar 2phase 4.2A Switch | eBay and
    Upgraded 5 Axis CNC Breakout Board Stepper Motor Driver + 5V USB Cable + Mach3 | eBay

BTW does anyone recognise the power supply board in that box ? A quick look on ebay doesn't get me anything.
    John S -

Might not even need to get a new PSU to use with the m542 drivers. The transformer says 36V on one of the secondaries, which is ideal since when rectified that will give just under 50V. It depends what rating that winding is on the transformer, but you might as well try it if you do decide to get the drivers that John S (and I) recommend. Do you have a part number / datasheet for the stepper motors this machine uses?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Yes spotted that as well, even included it in the post that disappeared when I clicked on the picture again to check.
    I reckon the tranny will kick enough out given that these motors only take a bit of power and volts on these things is far more important than amps.

When you have had your fingers in a switch on electric toaster you get a feel for these sort of things.
    John S -

Still interested in that board that rectifies the current from the tranny.
    I reckon they must be commercially available boards if they are in that box.

Hard bit is know what to search for on Ebay.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 01-04-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Accident, sorry!
    John S -

The motors look fairly small, so I tend to agree. However I've just noticed that the 36Vac output will be for the spindle, since that requires up to 50V and 230W according to the eBay listing. Unless that spindle is replaced another transformer would almost certainly be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Still interested in that board that rectifies the current from the tranny.
    I reckon they must be commercially available boards if they are in that box.

Hard bit is know what to search for on Ebay.
    Er why, surely you don't want one? It looks like it does a bit more than just rectifying though - I think it does the PWM drive for the spindle.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 01-04-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Well spotted and that also answers the question of the pot on the front so scrap that query.

The reason I wanted one is that is often quicker, faster, cheaper in the long run to buy off the shelf components than build.
    You then also have the facility to just ship a component out in the event of a fry up.

However in this case it's not what I was looking for.
    John S -

You want something like this then?

10000uF 50V X4 Rectifier filter power supply board kit s-8 | eBay

Just search on eBay for 'power supply rectifier' and you'll find plenty, although they are a bit expensive.

Edit: If you're happy to solder it then..
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63V-2200UF...item4abe9b8dad
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63V-2200UF...item33673235b2
    Last edited by Jonathan; 01-04-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information