. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Even Jonathan was against LinuxCNC
    That's not the first time someone's said that, so it's about time I pointed out that I was never against LinuxCNC. I just didn't recommend it until I had tried it myself. In May 2010 I said this in a post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm using Mach3 at the moment, I intend to change to EMC.
    It just took me over a year to get round to it! I changed when I started cutting an array of parts from an expensive (2400*740*20mm) sheet of aluminium, and had a problem with Mach3 which I've never found the reason for.

Anyway, so I'm not compelled to delete my own post for going off topic...

If you're happy with 150x150mm, then a milling machine would be the best option. Unfortunately quite a lot of the small milling machines have very limited Y-axis travel, so you wont find many with 150mm. For example this one is quite popular but it's only got 145mm Y-travel. If you can't find one, which ideally would be second hand to save money, then making a fixed gantry machine is the next strongest option.

Another reason to get a milling machine is the versatility of the tools you can put in the spindle. For example if you need to put bearings in these parts, then just milling the bearing pockets almost certainly wont be accurate enough, however with a milling machine you can put a boring head in it and bore out the bearing pockets to get the perfect fit.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 03-04-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Forgot URL
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's not the first time someone's said that, so it's about time I pointed out that I was never against LinuxCNC. I just didn't recommend it until I had tried it myself. In May 2010 I said this in a post:

It just took me over a year to get round to it! I changed when I started cutting an array of parts from an expensive (2400*740*20mm) sheet of aluminium, and had a problem with Mach3 which I've never found the reason for.

Anyway, so I'm not compelled to delete my own post for going off topic...

If you're happy with 150x150mm, then a milling machine would be the best option. Unfortunately quite a lot of the small milling machines have very limited Y-axis travel, so you wont find many with 150mm. For example this one is quite popular but it's only got 145mm Y-travel. If you can't find one, which ideally would be second hand to save money, then making a fixed gantry machine is the next strongest option.

Another reason to get a milling machine is the versatility of the tools you can put in the spindle. For example if you need to put bearings in these parts, then just milling the bearing pockets almost certainly wont be accurate enough, however with a milling machine you can put a boring head in it and bore out the bearing pockets to get the perfect fit.
    Thanks for the info!

If I buy such a milling machine can I control it with G-code just the same as a DIY built one?

Any suggestions for which one('s) to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    If I buy such a milling machine can I control it with G-code just the same as a DIY built one?
    Not unless you buy a CNC milling machine. If you get a manual milling machine, like the one I linked to, you'll have to convert it to CNC, which basically involves changing the leadscrews for ballscrews and adding stepper motors and a controller.

Jonathan what machine did you link to??

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Jonathan what machine did you link to??

Rick
    Oops I forgot - added to post #22.

Jonathan there is nothing wrong with changing your mind? I'm glad you found the switch works for you

So what is it going to be? Mill, router, fixed gantry???????
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Jonathan there is nothing wrong with changing your mind? I'm glad you found the switch works for you

So what is it going to be? Mill, router, fixed gantry???????
    Everyone, thanks much for your suggestions and your help!

Was away on business yesterday, and now getting back to this.

So, rather than buying something and converting it, I would much rather just build something, as I always prefer the build over buy if it's achievable.

I definitely want to go Mill over router, but I am not sure about fixed gantry vs. sliding table (if that is the option?)

I will admit, I was hoping that there was more of a build template that I could follow like there is for 3d printers in Reprap, but it seems there is really no such thing for CNC mills.

I am thinking that if I buld myself, I may want to have more mill area than 150x150, unless there becomes some technical or financial hurdle at some point close to that.

I have read quite a few build logs, and I still have a ton of questions and still not sure how I am going to do quite a few things, like:

power
    sliding table vs. fixed gantry
    control
    software
    etc.

So what should be my next step? Should I start a build log and state what I know I want to do, and ask for suggestions from there?

Yes!!! G.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information