. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I'd say designing PCBs is not massively complicated if it's for simple circuits, where placements of elements is not that crucial. I've used EagleCAD before and got my head around it pretty quickly.

As far as cutting goes, I would've loved to have a CNC simply to cut the acid etched PCB down to the right size, especially when doing round shapes. Then again, if you can auto generate the g-code, I guess there's no quicker way. Just for laughs and to show acid etching works not so badly, here's a PIC based timer board I've done a long time ago:

this is the round PCB which could've used a CNC.

Regards,
    dsc.
    Last edited by dsc; 04-04-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Wow thanks guys .. loads of advice there and ideas :) .. what do think of this and dont start with "Fuckin Maplins are crap" lol but they have a starter kit half price its looks like print iron and disolve.. thinks its wortha tenner punt to havea go ?

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I'd say Maplins are crap, but it's where I got sodium persulphate which I couldn't get anywhere else. To make your board you need that, an iron, a blank PCB and ink printer. As always google is your friend.

That kit says etchant material, although doesn't specify what it is. Then again for a tenner, might be worth a try.

Regards,
    dsc.

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    I'd say Maplins are crap, but it's where I got sodium persulphate which I couldn't get anywhere else. To make your board you need that, an iron, a blank PCB and ink printer. As always google is your friend.

That kit says etchant material, although doesn't specify what it is. Then again for a tenner, might be worth a try.

Regards,
    dsc.
    Looks like most of the stuff is in the kit .. whats an iron .. think I heard my ex once mention the word lol :)

1 pack assorted single-side copper boards
    (10 x 8, 9 x 6, 8 x 6, 7 x 5, 6 x 4, 5 x 3)
    1x tray for etching boards
    1x tray for rinsing boards
    1x 500g SP etchant
    1x permanent etch resist pen
    5x sheets of Press-n-Peel
    1x 100ml approx. of Press-n-Peel stripper
    1 pack 10 paper wipes
    1 pair safety glasses
    1 pack data sheets inc. Health and Safety coz your bloody stupid and we need to cover our arses !

Dudes if this strapping young lass can do it .. i'll be buggered if I cant at least make an attempt !
    Natural blonde .. me thinks not ! “Start rubbing over it with a wet sponge “ , I have to admit this strangely aroused me ! :P

Last edited by Fivetide; 04-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fivetide, for a tenner I am sure you could do something with that. The kit looks do-able too! G.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Fivetide, check out EEVblog Electronics Community Forum - Index
    The PCB/EDA/CAD boards have quite a bit of info.

I personally get any PCBs I need made in China via Seeedstudio, as I'm normally needing multiple copies for various projects, so one of prototyping takes too much time to make a batch. While I'm waiting for delivery it means I can get on with other projects.

Don't need to bother with the press 'n peel kit. You can just use photo paper and a laser printer to achieve the same thing. Wax paper works extremely well.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Crap I was suppose to say laser printer. A cheap option is to use magazine paper, the up market magazines like Vogue work very well as they are printed on rather high quality paper. Find a page with nothing printed on it (there's loads of commercials in those mags anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem) and etch away.

Regards,
    dsc.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    The kit looks do-able too! G.
    Like what you did there G :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information