. .
    I am a vintage and classic car enthusiast and my interest lies in reproduction of obsolete and unobtainable parts, particularly cast items. The ability to scan an existing item, convert it to a cnc file, adjust the scale for shrinkage and to add machining allowances, feeds and runners, and produce patterns looks like a realistic area to explore to save time in conventional pattern making. Recently I have come across a 3d printing process that directly produces sand moulds, but the only firm I can find that makes the equipment is ExOne. Obviously geared to very large industrial systems I am wondering if it would be possible to produce something at home that would do a similar job, possibly by conversion of a 3d printing machine. As I understand it the process consists of laying down a binder by an ink jet process, then coating with sand, and repeating in layers. The virtue of the process is that it can produce moulds that would otherwise be extremely difficult to make in many pieces, to allow for the undercuts and hollows that would normally require separate cores. Has anyone any knowledge of the process, any knowledge of the materials, or done any experimenting in this area? My knowledge of CNC and CAD systems is fairly limited and it is theoretical rather than hands-on, but I am a professional electronics engineer so am not frightened by the computing and software aspects.

John D

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I am a vintage and classic car enthusiast and my interest lies in reproduction of obsolete and unobtainable parts, particularly cast items. The ability to scan an existing item, convert it to a cnc file, adjust the scale for shrinkage and to add machining allowances, feeds and runners, and produce patterns looks like a realistic area to explore to save time in conventional pattern making. Recently I have come across a 3d printing process that directly produces sand moulds, but the only firm I can find that makes the equipment is ExOne. Obviously geared to very large industrial systems I am wondering if it would be possible to produce something at home that would do a similar job, possibly by conversion of a 3d printing machine. As I understand it the process consists of laying down a binder by an ink jet process, then coating with sand, and repeating in layers. The virtue of the process is that it can produce moulds that would otherwise be extremely difficult to make in many pieces, to allow for the undercuts and hollows that would normally require separate cores. Has anyone any knowledge of the process, any knowledge of the materials, or done any experimenting in this area? My knowledge of CNC and CAD systems is fairly limited and it is theoretical rather than hands-on, but I am a professional electronics engineer so am not frightened by the computing and software aspects.

John D
    Hi and welcome,
    I'm fairly new here myself but those that know are quick to pass on info which has sped my learning curve up no end. As for 3D Printers there's a few posts here you may find interesting, I certainly did even though 3D Printing isn't the road I'm going down. How are you gunna go with obtaining unobtainium though
    Cheers
    Carl

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Cardiff City Supporter ~ Real Sporting de Gijon Supporter ~ Vintage Synthesizer Collector
    La gente dice que tu vida esta planeado, me gustarķa encontrarse con el jefe de planificacion para que yo pudiera darle un punetazo en la cara!

Thread Information