. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    D.C. how's that tin foil cap of yours doing, as nobody mentioned anything about IP addresses....

It's not unknown for criminals to gain peoples actual addresses via the internet, that's why you should always consider where you share your full address.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    You would be mad to give your address out! Town is fine.
    That's the point I was making the other site you mentioned must have had a lot more detail than what town the members were in if a number of them got broken into.

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    Hi lee, just a thought here, but do you think it would be a good idea to incorporate a map of all the members?

What I mean i mean is you have something like a google map view of members of the forums and the town they are from. This could help bring more people together and be quite interesting if you find out you have guys near you that could help etc.

I've seen it on joescnc and it's quite interesting to see that their is few hybrid builders from his forum here in the UK

just a though..
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestion, some one has already suggested this to me in the past, at the time i looked at something the guy over at digitalpoint developed, the link for what it is now is here: GEO Visitor Tools, i cant remember now why i didnt implement something or even the link above.

IF i was to code something up to do what your suggesting D-Man i would do it so it pulls in the voluntary profile field that we have at the momment called "Location:" and then plots it like you suggest to a google map. At the momment i would probably suggest that i wont have time to work on this so it wont happen, unless some one can find a system already coded up that i can just implement after some review.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    D.C. how's that tin foil cap of yours doing, as nobody mentioned anything about IP addresses....
    Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    That's the point I was making the other site you mentioned must have had a lot more detail than what town the members were in if a number of them got broken into.
    "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth - Meat Loaf"

.Me
    .Me

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.

It's not unknown for criminals to gain peoples actual addresses via the internet, that's why you should always consider where you share your full address.
    Tin foil hat is fine ta, so is my grasp on how networks 'work'. In order to have an automatic map of where are our members all that is needed is the vague area which can be had from IP trace. If someone is publicly asking you for real address for no good reason on a public forum they are either a scammer, pervert or about to be hacked by the first scammy perv that realises they have a cache of potentially useful information.

I was kind of assuming that because they teach small children this stuff before they can walk that nobody would actually be stupid enough in the 21st century to knowingly give out their full address for a 'map'.

Do a google search for hack vbulletin, that is how secure your data really is on here. If you would like a fitting for a tin foil my mad hatter is available on Tuesdays ;)

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    nobody would actually be stupid enough in the 21st century to knowingly give out their full address for a 'map'.
    Nobody is suggesting that you should - perhaps you didn't read the thread before posting? It certainly looks like it as posts #1,5,7,8,9,12 all suggest using only the town. Then Lee suggested using the location people have already entered, so in your case Birmingham.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 07-04-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    In order to have an automatic map of where are our members all that is needed is the vague area which can be had from IP trace.

Do a google search for hack vbulletin, that is how secure your data really is on here. If you would like a fitting for a tin foil my mad hatter is available on Tuesdays ;)
    No, that is just one way it could* be done, given (as you know) that the location from an IP trace is vague what would be the point in doing it this way?, i live in Wigan but my IP trace's back to the exchange in Leigh i believe, so would it not be better to allow members to input what they want people to know as their location?

Cant see anything on a google search for the version of the forum that we use here

.Me
    .Me

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    No, that is just one way it could* be done, given (as you know) that the location from an IP trace is vague what would be the point in doing it this way?, i live in Wigan but my IP trace's back to the exchange in Leigh i believe, so would it not be better to allow members to input what they want people to know as their location?

Cant see anything on a google search for the version of the forum that we use here

.Me

Perhaps this is me misreading the anecdote about members on another site being broken into because of auto mapping software, I wasn't trying to disparage this site so apologies if anything I've typed has come across like that.

I was trying to point out:

That you can't get a real address from auto mapping software.
    If someone is asking a whole group of people to put their full address into a site for no good reason, just don't do it. If you have done that sort of thing before then I have a friend who is a Nigerian prince and he has an investment opportunity you might be interested in...

It would be useful to know vague locations, so that we could say have a Birmingham area meetup perhaps and things of that ilk, personally I like the automated IP systems precisely because it is vague and obfuscated, as soon as you deal with human input you have to manage stupid users (like people that will put a map pin right on top of their house on a photo sharing site while advertising how much expensive photography equipment they have at home in their sig and also providing a helpful link to their twitter feed so you know when they are 24 hours a day).

PS, there are certainly exploitable holes in this version of the forum software, there always are. something to ponder, if hackers can take over North Korea's twttier and flickr sites, companies like google can't secure gmail and 'cloud storage' is getting killed in the enterprise because the wonderful cloud keeps on leaking all your data like it's monsoon season just how secure do you really think a teeny tiny forum is?

Given that multi billion dollar companies with more money than the catholic church and more post docs on payroll than the Manhattan project can't do it?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    DC, I think the issue was you put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

All that was suggested was a map people could put thier location on, nobody mentioned anything about it being their precise address. Lee suggested the auto location thing that apparently would take the location you've entered on here (I've not bothered even looking at it!) and put it on a map.
    The only person to mention IP addresses was you.

As for forum security, vB is one of the better packages, however nothing is ever perfect and hackers always find new loopholes.

DC, I think the issue was you put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

nobody mentioned anything about it being their precise address.
    Swarfing did, in post 3.

I've been disagreeing with Swarfing's assertion that just because a site has a map it means that burglars will be able to find your real address. I like the map idea and I also much prefer to pull data automatically. Why? Because some humans are stupid and malicious and when you ask for user input you then have to deal with all consequences of stupidity and malicious behaviour.

If you can't be bothered to read back a page:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Great idea and also a bad one. A site i used to follow did this then a number of members got broken into........
    Sorry if I mangled my message somewhat, I was objecting to this.
    Last edited by D.C.; 07-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Swarfing does have a valid point though, if the location information is too specific.

As I said previously, it's not unknown for undesirables to use public information to know where to burgle.
    On several forums I use, even though I've never met the posters, I could tell you some of the expensive items they own. Take one undesirable, such information, a nice map showing exactly where posters stay, and you'd be aswell leaving the door wide open.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information