. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Surely, those members happy for others to know their location have already already listed on this site in the title box. I do not see what harm can be done if that information is plotted on a map. Like minded individuals may well be interested in meeting at some convenient local hostelry every couple of months to discuss/display some or their projects and formulate new ideas. Photographic equipment or other generally small light stuff is one thing, but cnc machines, lathes mills etc are not easily either stolen or disposed of. I still like the idea. G.

What Geoffrey said...

Cheers
    Adam

P.S. congratulations on the search engine optimisation, Netcraft toolpar puts mycncuk at 14 570 , cnczone at 50 973....

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Like minded individuals may well be interested in meeting at some convenient local hostelry every couple of months to discuss/display some or their projects and formulate new ideas.

I still like the idea. G.

Me too.

So apologies again if it came across as the opposite. :(

Me three...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Me four :-)

Guys only just caught up here. Just a town is fine, the experience i was expressing was mainly people who live in small areas. determined criminals will go the extra mile if they thought the loot is worth it. All they need to do is ask a few questions at the pub about people local? the mistake that the site made was to use map co-ordinates from the users address details that were not public. This put pins a map view, even though it was not the exact location it was too close for comfort. Lee's site does not use this type of connection, a lot has changed how sites are used these days.

A pin in a map showing what town you are in is a good idea, you could see who is closest to you. The idea of a group pub meet up is good also close to where you live. Members view only of the map would be better as well of course.

And to come clean it was me that suggested this idea many moons ago. We also suggested local meet ups to help each other out like CNC surgery's (chew over the problem).
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Mmmmm beer! :-)

Mixed with a huge group hug........and then more beer!
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Mixed with a huge group hug........and then more beer!
    Count me out if group hugs are involved but I'm happy to go along for the beer.

Hi guys,

I’ve giving this a little more thought today and come up with an idea!

Let’s move on from the technical aspects of this (thanks for staying level headed about it so far) and look at how we can move forward, from what I can see the only real reason for having a User/Member Map, is to see who is in your local area and maybe this information could be used to arrange meet ups and possibly some sort of workshop.

So how can I help facilitate this.

How about if we set up internal community groups, the forum software has this feature built in, its just turned off at the moment because I couldn’t see any need for it previously. I need to go over the settings and so on but that shouldn’t take long, I think it would allow for individual group sections, individual group pages, a group logo for each group and possibly internal group messages.

The way this could work is we could title each group based on counties, so if like me you live in the Lancashire County, this would be the group you join or receive an invite request from. This then brings me on to say, we could have a group leader/admin for each group responsible for the obvious things, it would require group leaders to send out invites to begin with and do the promotion side of things, I will look at how I can drive members to groups once up and running and so on.

Will stop there and put it out to you, think it would work well and wouldn’t require anyone to disclose any critical location details, group admin could take care of any arrangements and then post a message to the group giving the details for the meet ups and so on.

For logo’s I thought it would be cool to use the coat of arms for each county.

.Me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	276px-Coat_of_arms_of_Lancashire_County_Council.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	8689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	395px-English_ceremonial_counties_1998.svg.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	8690  
    .Me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information