. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi lee, just a thought here, but do you think it would be a good idea to incorporate a map of all the members?

What I mean i mean is you have something like a google map view of members of the forums and the town they are from. This could help bring more people together and be quite interesting if you find out you have guys near you that could help etc.

I've seen it on joescnc and it's quite interesting to see that their is few hybrid builders from his forum here in the UK

just a though..

D-man, I like it. G.

Great idea and also a bad one. A site i used to follow did this then a number of members got broken into........
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Oh dear. G.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Great idea and also a bad one. A site i used to follow did this then a number of members got broken into........
    Can only see that being a problem if an actual address were used but would have thought it would be alright if just done by town much the same as the info on each post. A map would just be an easier way to see how many people were in that area.

no thanks, certain info should be voluntary.
    edited to say id be all for it if members were able to opt in or out of it individualy.
    Last edited by dazza; 06-04-2013 at 09:20 AM.

I think how it work is it DOES NOT give your direct address only the town your in. Also the admin fills the info in, so what your happy to supply is what does in.

It was only a thought that's all :-)

We run a completely free advert site for home shop machinists.

Advert - All Ads

If you place an advert for sales or wanted you have to give the first part of your post code, in my case NG10.
    This is to save wasting peoples time contacting someone, only to find they are in the opposite end of the country.

No one sees the last part of the post code, only the person you give it to at the completion of a sale.
    John S -

Can only see that being a problem if an actual address were used but would have thought it would be alright if just done by town much the same as the info on each post.
    You would be mad to give your address out! Town is fine.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Which sounds like complete anecdotal bullshit, all ISP's use dynamic addressing and attempts at resolving a person's IP address from the internet will only ever result in the attacker getting the ISP's processing node.

My current address should resolve to Wednesbury in the West Midlands, it usually does unless there is a problem with virgin media's routers there and I get kicked over to somewhere else.

So there you go, I'm on Virgin Media, I'm not in Wednesbury, I'm not in a town next to Wednesbury and the only way you can resolve my physical address is by hacking into the account records of Virgin Media or by getting a court order to release those records. Having done that you will now be staring at my (and a few million other people's) bank account records that are used to process DD payments so why the feck would you bother getting off your butt to come rob me when your elite hacker skills mean that you are now in a position to siphon off millions of pounds per month from us unsuspecting dupes?

You may disagree with this, but unless you can actually pin a note on my front door saying "you got Clarkson'd bitch" I still have to call total bullshit on this story.

<hugz>

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information