. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Well spotted Geoffrey, this smells like a fishy $%&&*.......... and it's just struck me that's it's now been waaaay too long since this sad old fart smelt one of those.
    Do you think you'l do any better in NZ? G.

About 4 months ago I logged into my ebay account to see someone had listed a Nissan 4WD for sale in my ebay account!

The hacker/scammer who hijacked my account had obviously listed it at a low price....there were 30 watchers & my messages were full of people desperate to buy it.

I delisted the advert, changed my password & told ebay...I've no idea how he got in there (don't recall being phished...I'm pretty 'on my guard' for such ruses) ...I guess the scammer was hoping I wouldn't login, by which time he'd have completed the transaction 'off ebay'.

he'd changed the nominated 'contact seller email address' within my ebay account & weirdly (surprisingly) Ebay doesn't notify the account owner under this circumstance (only when the bigger things are changed, like registered email address, password etc) ...so he was able o communicate with all the potential buyers without me having any knowledge.
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 12-04-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    About 4 months ago I logged into my ebay account to see someone had listed a Nissan 4WD for sale in my ebay account!

The hacker/scammer who hijacked my account had obviously listed it at a low price....there were 30 watchers & my messages were full of people desperate to buy it.

I delisted the advert, changed my password & told ebay...I've no idea how he got in there (don't recall being phished...I'm pretty 'on my guard' for such ruses) ...I guess the scammer was hoping I wouldn't login, by which time he'd have completed the transaction 'off ebay'.

he'd changed the nominated 'contact seller email address' within my ebay account & weirdly (surprisingly) Ebay doesn't notify the account owner under this circumstance (only when the bigger things are changed, like registered email address, password etc) ...so he was able o communicate with all the potential buyers without me having any knowledge.
    I don't know how ebay can allow that to happen. I also feel that this is fraud, and don't understand why both the bank and police do not seem to be interested. If I wish to open a new bank account there are guidelines and check-ups. the scammer must be traceable via the money route surely? G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I don't know how ebay can allow that to happen.
    Ebay is only a venue is their much repeated mantra.

As a venue for sellers , they are a very hostile host with a bizarre attachment to long outmoded feedback ratings.

For buyers , Buyer Protection is actually just a pretty pic on the log in page.

Police won`t get involved in anything involving credit card fraud and lot of ebay scams are cross border to boot.

Even legitimate vendors have to play some starnge games to remain selling on ebay, bit more detail....

eBay Suspension & Paypal Limited Forums

Geoff, don’t worry I contacted my brother who’s the finance minister for Kenya, and he says it sounds pretty legit to him ! I hate scammers ! But like EvE online where there was a massive debate about banning them from the game, the makers came back with the answer that there will always be scammers in real life. I put my carving up for sale on Folksy the first 3 emails where all scammers. Report it to Ebay and walk away mate .. sure there will be a legit one come along soon enough.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you think you'l do any better in NZ? G.
    Gawd, I hope so! At least one more time! I'm hoping that when I get to Oz, I'll come across at least one Sheila who finds my portly body and funny accent totally irresistible.

Andy,sorry, NZ OZ - its all greek to me. G.

Your'e right Fivetide. Sorry to hear youv'e had scammers on folksy too. Such a shame that the few spoil so much for the rest of us. G.

It's human nature unfortunately Geoffrey, always has been & always will be people looking to make a fast buck & not bothered who gets hurt in the process. Only difference now is the internet has opened up the playing field for them.

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    I'll come across at least one Sheila who finds my portly body and funny accent totally irresistible.
    I "come" across several and I aint no Brat Pit ! I loved Oz , I dont regret much in life but not taking a job offer and path to green card is one of them, but I had a young daughter back home and tbh it was my 2nd mid life crisis.. to old now otherwise I'd pack my bags and say "Ow-yer-goin-mate" lol

Your'e right Fivetide. Sorry to hear youv'e had scammers on folksy too. Such a shame that the few spoil so much for the rest of us. G.
    Yeah mate spoils it for everyone.. hoping one day they can insta-trace the bastards and nuke them from space !

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information