. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    ...pics are on the way. Please wait a few minutes

Well I guess the value we need to know is what voltage range the Orac controller outputs. It sounds like it might be 0-5v rather than 0-10v? At the end of the day, it's just a potential divider circuit, so it should be possible to configure the drive to accept the input and/or use some resistors to bring it within range.

Same thoughts Birchy, wondering though if there is output adjustment on the Orac control circuit? if works on step ramp up then it must have fixed voltage divisions. A bit frustrating when the problem is not sat in front of you though?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digital pot.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	8752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parajust VFD.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	8753
    The 2 wires coming out from the Orac's controller (last 2 connectors to the right circled by the yellow line) connect to No. 1-2-3 IN-terminals of the Parajust VFD and these 3 terminals are also circled by yellow line. The third wire is the Shield connected only to the VFD side> Strange but this is how the machine operated all these years.2 wire ends at the controller side but 3 on the vfd sideClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Parametrics Instruction Manual IM6007 FHP Parajust_0006.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	8754
    These three terminals are clearly shown on the attached original Parajust schematic.
    K1 is a latching relay fitted on the original machine inverter (that with the large blue capacitor) which makes start/stop easy using just one normally open momentary switch.
    so far I have not cleared in my mind how IMO JAGUAR fulfills the requirements for this function. Obviously it is designed a bit differently for start/stop control.This is another problem which I am about to encounter using the IMO in place of the Parajust.
    Last edited by asto; 13-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Mmmm i wondering if the Orac is using voltage control for the speed adjustment (10v?). the third wire is to ground the shielding of the cable, if it was connected both ends it could cause a ground loop that would cause interference so that is quite normal. Can you check the terminals of the Orac for voltage whilst adjusting the speed controls?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

...I've done this before and I know from the user manual that for speed control voltage is applied from 0-10Vdc. According to the that inverter specs one can accelarate or deccelarate even by applying an external variable 0-10V source between terminals 4 and 2 of TB! terminal block 4 being negative and of max. 500ma. This is where the wire shield goes.

For Start/stop control it uses 6Vdc
    Last edited by asto; 13-04-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Swarfing, the manual extract you see on previous page here explains all this. Just give it a glance if you please
    Last edited by asto; 13-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks Birchy for the response.
    Your idea of applying additional resistors to the network came to my mind as well. But then maybe it won't accelerate to max. RPM . What do you think?

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    I've seen many of these oracs, and you're quite lucky just to have the inverter fail. In light of the age i would just bin the original controller and go to mach3.

I guess the easiest solution might be a digital potentiometer? It takes a voltage input which controls the passive potentiometer.

Using an Analog Voltage to Control a Digital Potentiometer - Application Note - Maxim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information