. .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    I am managing to get back to the garage for a hour here and there still real sore. I have finished the control box for my cnc but I still have some wiring to Finnish on the limit switches.
    I also got some more of the cnc assembled, the next job is to build a table that will house the computer the controller and the cnc router all in one. Then fit a new wall plug in the garage and a bracket to the wall for the monitor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1108.JPG 
Views:	352 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	9415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1109.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	381.9 KB 
ID:	9416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1110.JPG 
Views:	339 
Size:	366.0 KB 
ID:	9417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1111.JPG 
Views:	350 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	9418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1114.JPG 
Views:	412 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	9419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1115.JPG 
Views:	415 
Size:	503.1 KB 
ID:	9420

Love the model aircraft. Router looks good too. G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 12-08-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Looks like you are nearly ready to start cutting. Just got a couple of concerns with the power supply. Firstly I can't see in the photos how you are going to cut the power with the e-stop. Also you may have problems with noise bundling all of your signal and power cables together. Anyway, looking really good.

Regards, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by irgonomics View Post
    Also you may have problems with noise bundling all of your signal and power cables together.
    Ian's correct here.! . . The worst thing you can do is use un-sheilded cable and tie signal and power cables together like you have here.!!

Things may appear to work ok just jogging around etc but the potential for problems increases big time while cutting with noise getting on the signal wires causing all sorts of strange things to happen.? . . . .Everything from sudden limit or E-stops trips to sending phantom signals to motors causing them to either go in wrong direction or increase steps etc.
    Honestly Complete nightmare tracking down where it's coming from so anything to minimise the better and you've done everything to maximise with those cable ties and unsheilded cable on signal wires.!

Other than that looks Good and happy cutting.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-08-2013 at 09:09 PM.

There was nothing in the instructions from cnc4you about shielding, I now need help, do you shield just the wires to the stepper motor, or do you shield the stepper motor wires from the limit switch wiring.
    What a mess there is over £70 of wiring there including the plugs.
    And here was me thing I was smart keeping all the wiring neat and tidy, Now how do I fix this. Do I let the wires loose is this good enough just leave them loose in a cable track or can you get screening to fit around the cable on the out side of the insulation on the power wiring and of course you need to earth shielding do you earth the shield at one end or both.( On google search I found some mesh but was £30 for 5 metres and you get Tin-Plated Copper Foil Shielding Tape from 3M its about the same price what would you use or is there something better?) Will I have to rewire the inside of the control box or is it just the wiring to the stepper motors and the limit switch's?
    On another search I found Guitar Pickup copper foil tape would this work and do I shield each of the four wires from the stepper motor separate?
    Last edited by Bush Flyer; 17-08-2013 at 11:49 PM.

For the cost of that Mesh you could buy some CY cable and be done with the problem?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Ok well first before you start ripping it apart just do some better cable management.

Separate the signal wires from the Power wires and run power cables together.
    Don't cable tie the signal wires together just run along side each other lose.

Shielded cable is the proper way and should really be used and like Swarf says just buy CY cable if you do.
    You'll find it here cheap enough and just use 4 core 0.5mm or 0.75mm. CY Cable
    Only ground one end at the control box and make sure your control box uses star grounding. IE all grounds to same spot.

But it doesn't always follow that because you haven't used shielded cable you'll have problems it could work fine but you are much more open to interference and corruption of data signals without it. . . . I suggest you try machine and if any strange happenings like Z axis lifting/dropping or false limit or E-stop signals then you'll be getting noise on the lines.

Regards which wires to sheild then it's motors and limit cables, any cables that send signals. Following on from above, if you have trouble with noise then chances are it will be the limit cables that cause it because they tend to be the longest run, effectively acting has a big antenna sending and receiving signals. Similar applies to the Stepper cables because they are long.

Main thing is to keep power cables away from signal cables and shield any signal cables. This esp applies to spindle cables if your using a VFD which are very noisy things.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 18-08-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Shielded cable is the proper way and should really be used and like Swarf says just buy CY cable if you do.
    You'll find it here cheap enough and just use 4 core 0.5mm or 0.75mm. CY Cable
    Only ground the ends at the control box and make sure your control box uses star grounding. IE all grounds to same spot.
    Note he just means one end of the cable and not both. On the other hand you may get away with it and it all work fine? i did on my first one and that was a can a of worms. Saying that set it up right first time and you will have less problems to sort out later (spending hours guessing what the problem is).

Bloody nice job by the way and a credit to the build so far. You have worked very hard ;-)
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Note he just means one end of the cable and not both.
    Ye I did and corrected it now has wasn't clear was it. .

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Bloody nice job by the way and a credit to the build so far. You have worked very hard ;-)
    Ye and I'll second that has well.!!

Thanks for the help, I have had a look at that CY Cable, I wish I had found that before I had started the wiring, Never mind I will separate the wiring to see if I get away with it . But first I will have to make new bench for the machine then I will be able to try it too to see how it works, But in the end I will slowly change the wiring to this CY Cable starting with the limit switches.
    My thanks again Mike.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information