. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    Hi everybody!

Just before yesterday I bench tested my Orac and it was running fine.
    So I moved to the next step which was to put everything back in place and start cutting.

But the machine did not like this idea and what I am getting now is...Drives glowing nice green led each and the distinctive oscillator sound that says we are ready to run your motors. Then I select manual mode and pressing arrow keys to move the selected axis, the screen shows actual coordinate position changing but none of the motors is willing to spin.
    One of them I tried turning by hand but could not. This one generates strange and varying oscillator sounds even tough is immobilized. And the second can be turned by hand almost effortlessly.

I am sure many of you guys here can view things to which it looks I am totally blind. As considering all current machine symptoms I can not even come close to what may have caused this problem.

Any advise and help is highly appreciated.

regards

!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4130754.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	8747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4130752.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	8748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4130750.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	8749

If the motors are energising then could be wiring on one of the stop/ limit circuits. Check all connections again would be my suggestion. I've been there when i have checked connections a million times just to find it was still a connection issue. look for trapped insulation, stuck limit switches (use some switch cleaner).
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    That's what came to my mind first and bridged the limit switch inputs at the controller. This sort of thing did last night but things did not change.
    So i keep searching giving particular attention to the points you mention Swarfing.

Thanks!

Regards
    Last edited by asto; 13-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Can't really help but just remembered I have an Orac here somewhere, don't laugh but according to small son we have 15 CNC machines here somewhere in various stated of undress.

Anyway from what I remember after we collected it from Oxford, plugged it in to try it and it was dead but the spindle would run. If you find out what's wrong I'm quite prepared to rob this for spares but it is an unknown item.

John S -

Thanks John S!
    I can count on that.
    It seems to me yours carry a power chuck.

Yes it has standard chuck and air chuck.
    Problem with the air chuck is no hole down the middle so limited to cut pieces but at least I can swap it.
    I have a small Sieg KC4 lathe at the moment but the Orac is a bigger and beefier machine.
    When I get it converted it will replace the KC4. Idea is to run it on Mach with a Kflop to do the spindle timing for threading.
    John S -

@Asto:
    Given that you have THIS issue AND your spindle drive problems on the other thread, maybe it's time to consider bringing that machine forward 30 years with an upgrade to more modern control?

I am not going to hide this. You are so right Birchy. The point here is that a friend of mine is waiting to receive parts and promised him we start this Monday.
    Now he is about to see me ling to him.
    Best way of course would be to possess an industrial cnc but at the moment I can not afford this.

cheers

Well....you have 2 choices:

1. Confess that your machine has broken down and you cannot repair
    2. Sub contract the work to another company
    Last edited by birchy; 13-04-2013 at 10:25 PM.

I have to be honest Asto the gains in changing the electronics will save you a lot of heartache and future expense. You have 30 year old electronics and it will repeatedly breakdown on you. You could get some money back from selling the electronics you have. There will always be somebody that is willing to give it a go and put that towards new stuff. Your steppers should be fine and you could utilise the power supplies maybe?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information