. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Daedelus: Does this now mean that my NDA is now void ?
    Last edited by Mad Professor; 17-06-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    "If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

Great work! I actually bought cnc-usb software as Andrej (the author) agreed to integrate Z probing to help with pcb milling etc..

A few points to note when Z probing...

In case it's not obvious, you need a very accurate Z axis when using this probing technique ...especially if you are probing a lot across the stock - because any Z backlash will seriously affect the measurements (& more importantly - the outcome!) My small CNC machine only uses threaded rod & modest nuts...I got poor results initially due to too many probe points in conjunction with backlash errors - best to probe as little as you think you can get away with.

It's still a good idea to level your bed.... pcb milling is all about minimizing the errors (cause when your V cutting tip is only 0.2mm, every little bit of Z accuracy counts)

Be sure to probe to the g code extremeties...most 'divergences from the mean' are due to clamping at the edges (& the inevitable bowing up...albeit small - in the centre)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 17-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks Hank, the backlash info is worth noting.
    I consider myself a hobbyist when it comes to CNC and machining in general (my background is in software engineering / development) however, my machine does include anti-backlash nuts and I have no idea what the probing accuracy would be like without them. From what you say, it would not be that good. In this situation, would it help to reduce the Z (probing) feed-rate to improve accuracy? Also, yes, it would be a good idea to level the bed as you say.
    Last edited by Daedelus; 17-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Mad Professor has been aiding me a lot with running the software and testing with Mach 3. I am aware that he used the software when etching a design on a metal box lid. This shows that Autoleveller is not the sole domain of PCB designs.

Anyway, thanks Prof. Your help is very much appreciated.

5. Here is one of the cases I did some engraving on that I used Daedelus Autoleveling software with.

!!! Warning !!! you may want to turn down your speakers before starting the below video.

The half cases are extruded aluminium and are anodized black, and the surface is anything but flat.
    Last edited by Mad Professor; 17-06-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Prof. This is a great video to show the versatility of Autoleveller (i.e. not just for PCB's). Would you mind if I link to it from the web page?

7. I have no problem if you wish to use the video or link to it on your web site.

Daedelus,
    Thanks for posting your software. I especially like the the fact that it is independent of the originating program. As you know, we ran into this problem with Eagle and the original developer disappeared when Eagle had a new version.

Just downloaded it and look forward to giving it a try.
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

No problem.

It seems quite reliable, but its still early in development so let me know if you find any bugs.

Daedelus.

Daedelus,
    Last evening, I set up Eagle V6.x so I could see how your program would work. Everything seemed to go fine, but I would like to offer a suggestion.
    I can speak only for myself, but for PCB use, I have a fixed fixture on my machine and for doing operations on the TOP of the board, I use fixture 54. For Operations on the bottom of the board, I use fixture 55. So when setting up, I home the machine and load a previously saved fixture file that automatically gives the proper offsets to the various fixtures. Of course as setup, your program does not include any fixture offsets and I would suggest adding a dialogue box to indicate which fixture is going to be used when you parse an individual file. I say give the option to set one because as you say, this can be used for other operations other than PCB work and who knows what fixture offset may be needed?
    Thanks in advance and so far, really like how things are setup.
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information