. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi Guys,

I wonder if anybody can help? Thinking of buying a RoboCutters EagleIII CNC Machine 400x600mm from premiresign.co.uk and as I am new to CNC machines I would like to know if within the £1999 inc VAT price range I could do better?

It would be used for work on Hardwood and Softwood and would be used for a good 6 hours a day 5 days a week and though the bed size is smaller then I would like I am unable to find anything that seems to be better.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Phizell View Post
    Hi Guys,

I wonder if anybody can help? Thinking of buying a RoboCutters EagleIII CNC Machine 400x600mm from premiresign.co.uk and as I am new to CNC machines I would like to know if within the £1999 inc VAT price range I could do better?

It would be used for work on Hardwood and Softwood and would be used for a good 6 hours a day 5 days a week and though the bed size is smaller then I would like I am unable to find anything that seems to be better.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Sorry should have said it will be working on boards no more 50mm thick and mainly putting Logos on the work

Hi, I think the Z axis travel is 65mm on that model which might be a bit tight if you wanted to put a spoil board on the bed as well. Even without a spoil board using 50mm stock would only give you 15mm for the cutter and depth of cut, machine travel etc. Also I don't think they are VAT registered, so if it is a VAT registered company purchase that might be a factor. The guy that owns premiersign is registered on here but I can't remember his name.
    I have the Eagle IV model.

The premier signs guy is called Collin, and his ID on this RoboCutter. G.

Thanks Bazzar, for the info, I did want the Eagle IV but they are out of stock and wont be in for 6 weeks.

What is the machine like? Is it up to what I need in your opinion ( I normally work on 30mm boards, so I worked one having a 10mm sacrificial board) Very rarely will I need to work on something much thicker but when I do it will only be to engrave or route out sections that will not go all the way through the work piece.

I also thought that if I did get the eagle 3 then in a year or two when I need a bigger machine I could just change the bed and the supports (not 100% sure this can be done).

Any help and advice would be really appreciated as being new to the whole CNC thing I really don't want to waste money and in fact hope this will expand my work.

Many thanks

There is another alternative that I might be able to get hold of a Elu Model CNC 860 Type A1 CNC Routing machine (well used) but I have no idea what else I would need to have to make this work as it only has a Elu CNC 860 Control unit which I am not sure can be connected to cad software. The upside of this unit is that I can mount conventional routers to the unit.

If anyone has any ideas or any suggestions on what to buy, I could really do with as much help as possible as I have limited time in which to sort this out as I have imminent work pending.

Thanks

Have you thought about getting one of the 6040 routers off Ebay that come from Portsmouth for about £1200 and ditching the control box.

220V CNC 6040Z-S65J upgrade from 6040Z+S Engraver with 800W 24000RPM spindle | eBay

Just as an example.
    A new control box will cost you around £250 to £300 with quality components.
    John S -

Hi John,

I had thought about the 6040 but all I can find is mixed reviews and people saying you take a chance with them (also the Eagle has a years guarantee and 6 months on spindle) and not knowing really anything about CNC I am lost!!!! Hence why I thought the Eagle might be a good choice as its in the UK and the guy that sells them seems to know what he is doing.

I really could do with someone just pointing me in the right direction telling me if the Eagle machine is any good and as I get used to things I can progress, as I am lucky as I have a knowledge of electrics, engineering and machining, just not in this field at all.

I am really willing to learn and also help people as I move forward and learn myself.

Absolute maximum budget before VAT (It is for my VAT business so need an invoice) is £1650 but I could really only do with spending £1000 or less until this new line takes off and at which point I can invest and possibly build a larger machine myself.

I bought my machine(a different machine) from premier signs, it was about £250 more than if I imported myself but I liked the idea of UK support. It was a waste of time, every problem with the machine I had to fix my self.

Sorry don't have a name to post to ? Phil ?

The 6040's are a mixed bag and as you say mixed results but basically a router is made up of two main modules, the mechanical part and the electronics.
    Leaving the motors out of this which are usually good the electronics on the 6040 are sh́te, hence the new box needed.

Mechanically they are decent, supported rails on the X axis, unsupported on Y and Z but these are not that long anyway.
    where they do fall down sometimes is the mounting of the ballscrew bearings which may / may not need seeing to.

Hard decision because by the time the Chinese 6040 is speced up it's close to the price of the Robocutter and given that this is serviced in the UK.

I'd like to know more on the robocutter though before spending especially the spindle.
    in one lump of blurb it says 800w air cooled , later on it says 8,000 to 24,000 . Also no mention of what is fitted inside the box, does it have the crap Toshiba board fitted ?
    Last edited by John S; 14-04-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    John S -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information