. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Shropshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-01-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Thanks for your input

I have now changed round the Y axis plate as you said, this is one of those little things that will make putting the whole thing together much easier.

Ross what exactly do you mean by make the Y axis wider? doesn't this mean that the distance between the cutting tool and the back of the Y axis will be further?

As for the 2:1 belts, I had considered this but I wasn't sure if they would flex to much as in my old machine the belts stretched quite a lot under load. I was wondering what your experience of this was. And could I ask what sort of feet rate is possible from a 5mm pitch screw using 72V NEMA 23 drivers.

Yes I considered making the gantry sides much smaller but I was doing it this way so that the whole frame that the machine sits on could be fly cut flat so that I don't have any issues with the bed not being flat or to far off flat. but your right this would make the whole machine stiffer. But thinking about it just now as long as the surface that the rails sit on are flat compered to each other then the the machine could level its bed and it should then be fairly flat.

I will change the design slightly and put up a few more pictures

Thanks for all your help everyone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	8840  

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Ross what exactly do you mean by make the Y axis wider? doesn't this mean that the distance between the cutting tool and the back of the Y axis will be further?
    If you look at the last image of post #8 then you have dimensioned the beam as 126mm deep and & 70mm wide (guessing back plate is 20mm) the 70 mm is the bit increase. yes this will increase the distance from cutting tool to back of the y axis but you have gained a bit of space by rotating the rails to the top and bottom and you could allow the very back to over hang the rear gantry bearing a bit as the resultant twisting force from the z axis on the yaxis will act in the centre of the beam. as long as the rear X axis bearing on the gantry sides is behind the centre it will be ok.

If you are going to belt drive the z axis motor then it might also be worth mounting on the back of the z carriage plate so it is lower on the machine, whilst it is not going up and down with the Z axis it is still being accelerated back and forth on the Y axis, bringing all the mass closer to the centre can only be a good thing :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Ross means increase the spacing of the Y-axis bearings. The deflection due to the bearings is proportional to the cutting force squared, so increasing them a small amount makes a surprisingly large difference.

As for the 2:1 belts, I had considered this but I wasn't sure if they would flex to much as in my old machine the belts stretched quite a lot under load. I was wondering what your experience of this was.
    When the belts are used to drive the ballscrew the error due to belt stretch will, in most cases, be negligible compared to other errors. The difference with your other machine is the belt drives the axis directly, so the cutting force is applied directly to the belt. When driving a ballscrew however, the cutting force is divided by the effective ratio of the ballscrew drive, which put simply is a big number so the belt doesn't stretch much at all.

And could I ask what sort of feet rate is possible from a 5mm pitch screw using 72V NEMA 23 drivers.
    Try this.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Shropshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-01-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Right I have now changed the design quite a bit

The gantry is now much smaller and I have lifted the sides of the machine up to compensate. The main of the frame will be from box section steel, either 100 x 50 or 50 x 50 with the thickest wall I can get. I will try to weld it using clamps to keep it square and flat the best I can but it will then be fly cut to make sure that the top face is accurate and then the machine can face its base plate to ensure that is flat.

My plan is to have a second false floor that can be bolted into the frame which will be around 100 mm thick for machining parts which require less z travel, this should then make the machine much stiffer as the z axis will not be as far out.

As for driving the ballscrews with belts I am going to stay with direct drive at the moment to save some cost, but I am sure for what I am doing the slower rapid rates will not be to much of a problem.

If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	8873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	8872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	8874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	8875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	8876  

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know
    Well you could move......and then also......and put that over there..

Looks good. I know its a welded steel frame but you might want to look at the junction between the side walls and the bed, you might get flex there. Also can you add any bracing the ends or will that hinder your access? maybe look at at a removable end braces?

To help with the resonance it might be worth unequally spacing the bed supports or at least move the central leg off centre, if that makes sense? vibrations have harmonics at multiples and divisions of the base frequency so by having equally spaced connections you can unknowingly increase the vibration.

What is the bearing spacing on the y axis?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information