. .

Thread: New Member

Hi All, New member here from the Cardiff area.
    Looking to have my first milling machine and obviously wanting it CNC'd. Not got a lot of machining experience, but did have a mini lathe for a number of years. So looking at this as the next stage.
    I'd love to build my own machine, but (thanks to a lot of reading on here) as I think I'll be doing work on 1 foot dia steel objects in the future I don't think I could build a strong enough machine atm. Realistically I think converting an existing machine is the way to go.
    So far I'm considering buying a machine from Amadeal and slowly converting it, as my budget going to have taken a big blow doing it this way. I'd appreciate advice on this even recommendations it's the right way to do this. Would look to have a 4 axis machine eventually, even 5 axis if possible!
    Looking at the machines on offer from Amadeal there's quite a few machines of similar spec, but differing when it comes to Size, taper size, motor power etc.. and to be honest I'm just not sure which machine is going to be enough for my needs now and ideally in the future.
    Right now I only plan to make items from plastic and Aluminum, but as said above probably steel/stainless in the future.
    Any advice welcome!
    Cheers
    Rotor

Quote Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
    Hi All, New member here from the Cardiff area.
    Looking to have my first milling machine and obviously wanting it CNC'd. Not got a lot of machining experience, but did have a mini lathe for a number of years. So looking at this as the next stage.
    I'd love to build my own machine, but (thanks to a lot of reading on here) as I think I'll be doing work on 1 foot dia steel objects in the future I don't think I could build a strong enough machine atm. Realistically I think converting an existing machine is the way to go.
    So far I'm considering buying a machine from Amadeal and slowly converting it, as my budget going to have taken a big blow doing it this way. I'd appreciate advice on this even recommendations it's the right way to do this. Would look to have a 4 axis machine eventually, even 5 axis if possible!
    Looking at the machines on offer from Amadeal there's quite a few machines of similar spec, but differing when it comes to Size, taper size, motor power etc.. and to be honest I'm just not sure which machine is going to be enough for my needs now and ideally in the future.
    Right now I only plan to make items from plastic and Aluminum, but as said above probably steel/stainless in the future.
    Any advice welcome!
    Cheers
    Rotor
    Hi and Welcome,

I can't offer much in regards to recommendations but If there's one thing I've picked up since being a member of this site is do it right do it once so with that in mind only because I got bit with a chinese machine is look at steel/stainless now and not in the future - who knows if part A is going to be available for the machine in years to come. Ehh I think you get my drift, I'm still partying from the nil all draw with Charlton and the fact we're EPL now
    Cheers
    Carl

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Cardiff City Supporter ~ Real Sporting de Gijon Supporter ~ Vintage Synthesizer Collector
    La gente dice que tu vida esta planeado, me gustarķa encontrarse con el jefe de planificacion para que yo pudiera darle un punetazo en la cara!

For a desktop size machine you could not go that wrong with an RF45 type machine. but being you want to mill 1' size parts you maybe better off buying an old CNC BP. How much space you got?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I'd love the 45 model, but its out of my price range. I was attracted to there 25 model or possibly the 30 although I'm not sure there would be any real world difference between the two too justify the extra cost. Another factor is the space as at the moment I'm building a shed based workshop for this machine. Eventually it should live at the back of the garage when it get extended. So doubt I could manage a proper milling machine.
    The large steel parts I might end up doing would be based around my hobby of classic cars so drum brake skimming etc and if being very ambitious gearbox repairs.
    I'm shocked just how much converting a machine to cnc still is even after its become affordable so this has put quite a limit on the base machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlb1058 View Post
    Hi and Welcome,

I can't offer much in regards to recommendations but If there's one thing I've picked up since being a member of this site is do it right do it once so with that in mind only because I got bit with a chinese machine is look at steel/stainless now and not in the future - who knows if part A is going to be available for the machine in years to come. Ehh I think you get my drift, I'm still partying from the nil all draw with Charlton and the fact we're EPL now
    Thanks Carl, not a Bluebird fan myself, but well done!
    Big achievement!
    Just hope it's not going to affect my CostCo shopping ;-)

Thread Information