. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm on the lookoput for a cheap air compressor around 25lt. Its only to be used for blasting the CNC when working, air assist on the laser, airbrushing and some larger painting(a4 sized wood, few at a time). Would a standard cheap model do the job or do I need something better?

Thanks, Phil

Hi Phil,

I used to have a very cheap 25ltr compressor, which they used to sell in aldi, power craft or something was the name on it. It was very good for the price and put out around 7cfm, which for its size is excellent. The problem you might face is if you find yourself using more air than you thought and the compressor is kicking in and out to build up pressure, then they can overheat very quickly. Also the direct drive models, which is most of the smaller compressors are very loud, probably over 90DB. After a while the noise becomes an issue. If you can find a smaller belt driven model then this will be quieter.

Hope that helps,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I'm on the lookoput for a cheap air compressor around 25lt. Its only to be used for blasting the CNC when working, air assist on the laser, airbrushing and some larger painting(a4 sized wood, few at a time). Would a standard cheap model do the job or do I need something better?

Thanks, Phil
    Phil,

The difference between the 25lt and the 40lt models in physical size is minimal, so IMO I'd be looking at one of them as the price isn't that much different. I bought an el cheapo 40lt as my 15cfm belt drive was losing air and wasn't worth repairing, I'm yet to have my el cheapo over heat and I've painted more cars and bikes with it than I can remember. When it came to airbrushing it was a PITA mainly due to the excessive noise so I bought an el cheapo air brush compresser that put out from memory a max of 60psi but the constant use would knacker one of them.
    So in short suss out the 40's before deciding on a 25, the additional expense (if there is any) will pay for itself over time.
    Cheers
    Carl

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Cardiff City Supporter ~ Real Sporting de Gijon Supporter ~ Vintage Synthesizer Collector
    La gente dice que tu vida esta planeado, me gustarķa encontrarse con el jefe de planificacion para que yo pudiera darle un punetazo en la cara!

I did a lot of research on air compressors and had a chat with a colleague who used to service them. His basic advice was to get a 50L model with twin piston. More interestingly, he said that Abac make most of the re-branded compressors for the likes of Sealey, SIP, NuAir, Rockworth, Draper, etc. If you look at these, they are all the same motor, pump and tank, just in different colours and with very different price tags!

Sealey 50lt V-Twin Compressor 3hp 11.6CFM SAC5030VE *F.O.C. NEXT DAY DELIVERY!* | eBay
    SIP 06242 AIRMATE TN3.0/50-D 3hp 50 Litre V TWIN AIR COMPRESSOR 50L tool gun | eBay
    Burisch Air Compressor 3HP 50L 50 ltr litre 14CFM V-Twin NEW | eBay
    50L 50 Litre Air Compressor 230V Draper 2.2kW V-Twin Air Compressor 3HP 116PSI | eBay
    Air Compressor 3hp 50lt Twin V Motor 230v SUPER QUALITY | eBay
    SIP (S.I.P) 05287 Airline VDX/50 CM3 Air Compressor 3hp 50Ltr Twin Piston | eBay

If it was me i would go for a secondhand hydrovane and treat it to a new service kit. Quiet and constant pressure, can't wait to get some dosh to replace my old crappy one. If you do consider it always ask what use time says as it records this on the unit. Not much has change in the design since the sixties, this is for good reason. They will do most jobs without a tank as well.
    Last edited by Swarfing; 19-04-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    If it was me i would go for a secondhand hydrovane
    So would I, but can't justify £1000 for a second hand compressor.
    Last edited by birchy; 19-04-2013 at 12:13 AM.

What to look for in an air compressor.
    Air.......
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

They come up much cheaper than that, just don't look for one that looks like you can eat your dinner off. A bottle of sugar soap and a bit of elbow grease is much cheaper than a noisy cheap one take my word for it.

air compressor | eBay

First one i came to and you can get them cheaper like i say. Don't worry about 3 phase either as you can run it with a VFD

If you go for a Hydrovane go for a 5 series, plenty big enough and many are on single phase.Search on ebay for hydrovane 501

Don't buy the tripod mounted ones, get the tank mounted.

They are different, the tripod mounted ones unload the compressor when pressure is reached so the motor runs all the while.

The tank mounted units have pressure switches.

I run two 5 series side by side but only run one at a time however both tanks are coupled so I have plenty of air.
    John S -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information