. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    John could we get a bit more real life usage of the hydrovane 5 series.

I've been looking on ebay for some time now and they do come up often for around £300, which I don't mind paying, but when I read the specs of the 501, it only produces 4.2 cfm FAD. Seems crap against say a £300 secondhand 150ltr Sealey/Abac/Clarke with 14cfm. Would the 501 easily allow for some spray painting, blasting, sanding. Could it even be used for blowing chips away.

Feel like I have to look at a big 3 phase hydorvanes to get any where near descent Ccfm. But then these are a huge step up, with ratings of 20+ cfm.

Are the hydrovane and regular compressor cfm's not comparable?

Cheers Adil

You have basically answerd your own question when you state 4.2cfm FAD which means Free Air delivery. because they don't have a swept volume like a piston compressor they have to state what they put out.

CFM means sod all, CFM is the swept volume x revs in one minute and doesn't take into account valves opening and closing which is when the proper work is done.

Read this.

The "power" of an air compressor
    John S -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:25 PM.

What you have to do with the tankless units is put them on a tank and run them up to see what pressure they spit out before they unload.

Then fit a pressure switch, machine mart are reasonable for these, and set it for 10 pounds less than the test pressure, this way they perform the same as the tank model.
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:25 PM.

7. I had a 14cfm twin piston compressor and yes it could kick out 14cfm when the tank was full thats bout it. then i landed on a nearly new Abac 50+cfm jobby and that will do a proper continuous 50 cfm and its alot quieter than the old turd.

Quote Originally Posted by AdCNC View Post
    and its a lot quieter than the old turd.
    Adam,
    There is no need to get offensive, I can't help getting old................
    John S -

I will have to look for another air compressor now, I have had an el cheapo model for years & it has been great for the things I was using it for, few air tools, bit of spraying, nail gun & blowing up the car tyres was about all it got used for.
    Now I have built the blast cabinet it's just to small to handle the flow required at the correct pressure.
    Still having read this thread at least I have a better idea what to look out for now.

10. Lol John how did you know i was talking about you :-p

Hope this isn't classed as a hijack it is about air compressors lol.

Read what John was saying about compressor outputs & that he had said to look out for hydrovane series 5 units but I'm not sure if something that size would do for the blast cabinet, the 5 series from what I can see chucks out about 5 cfm & the blast cabinet needs a minimum of 7 cfm @ 80 psi, more would be better.
    Realise from Johns post that those figures might not mean a lot so needing a bit of help with what might be suitable without having to take out a loan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information