. .
    Lives in Salisbury, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15-04-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 11.
    CNC drilling machine router kit with motors, controlling board, SW etc | eBay
    What is the story with this ??? - price seems (too good to be true) a bit on the low side (delivery notwithstanding) and the first couple of pages of customers ratings seem a bit suss as well - or is it something else.

I am sure that a regular member had one of these for sale recently with PC thrown in as well - but still only wanted around £500:00 for the lot.

regards Kev

2. Not saying it's dodgy, but seller claims to be in US but ships from Japan, yet in text says ships by DHL from Hong Kong? Also 'American manufactured' motor? Why ship something from US to Japan or HK when you can get it cheaper in China? Also condition 'used'?

Caveat Emptor

Lives in Salisbury, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15-04-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 11.
    It doesn't quite 'chime' right does it - love the idea of a cnc machine for a little over £100:00 but the postage takes it nearer £300:00 which is too much to gamble.

Methinks this is a 'looks too good to be .........' - I was just curious if anyone had experience of this seller or machine.

regards Kev

Hello

Just thought I would share. I have one of these machines bought from aliexpress.

Made from 10 mm pvc. Mine arrived with a LOT of missing parts including missing bearings and lead screw ect. Wasnt amused.

Seller refunded about 75% including shipping costs so Id trust that they wouldnt make that mistake again.

The stepper motors are second hand and poor quality, clearly been used to near destruction. One of mine even had a bent shaft meaning a complete strip of the motor. Luckily enough I have a lathe and dial indicator and was able to straighten it out. Would suggest investing in new bearings too, they simply slide off.

The spindle on mine was an old american servo dc motor. Means you can only use a 110v power supply with them. Mine had clearly been crashed. How you ask? Because the end with the mounting holes, the drive end, was bent and holding the cooling fan and the non drive end holding the er11 chuck.

Surely enough, it was useless and binned.

The missing parts of the machine I replaced with HDPE machined parts milled on my other machine and the leadscrew I machined a piece of stainless thread bar on my lathe and replaced also.

The machine is currently 85% complete id say, just need to sure up the ill fitting rails as theyre just too short and make a spindle and adapter.

Ive got plans at the minute to build a spindle using an er11 shank and brushless motor but its a case of motivation really.

All in all, if you can get a good one then itd be a great machine so long as your willing to put a little worl into it.

If you get a lemon like me then demand its sorted or a refund.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to booski For This Useful Post:

Thank you for that definitive reply regarding this type of sale - absolutely the wrong way for me to get into cnc as I have not got any machine shop equipment at all for sorting out 'lemons' - I do like the look of the Zen type machine - but not like this - much appreciate you taking the time to write up the problems you've encountered - hope you get sorted out soon - regards Kev

Just look at this sellers feedback score ! I have asked eBay if they can build in a filter to take out from search results any items from sellers with less than a specified score or rank results by feedback rating. I personally would not bother with anyone less than 99.5%. They said it was a good idea, but no action yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Just look at this sellers feedback score ! I have asked eBay if they can build in a filter to take out from search results any items from sellers with less than a specified score or rank results by feedback rating. I personally would not bother with anyone less than 99.5%. They said it was a good idea, but no action yet.
    I'd be careful with that strategy. 99.5% means they could have just one negative in up to 200 feedback. Very occasionally you get a negative for no good reason (e.g. from a new member / village idiot) so I wouldn't want to exclude sellers with just one negative feedback.

Having said that, in this case there's no chance I'd buy that, but not due to the feedback.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

You're right Jonathan, I would use the 99.5% category for cheap items (like tie wraps) that the world and his dog are selling. My main suggestion was that they allowed search results to be ranked by feedback score.

Again you are right about the machine, I would never buy it, but I might make one similar, just to introduce my 2yr old grandson to CNC. Do you know if they do a Lego version ?

My main suggestion was that they allowed search results to be ranked by feedback score.
    The 'best match' search takes into account detailed seller ratings, which are probably more meaningful than the feedback as the resolution is greater.

just to introduce my 2yr old grandson to CNC. Do you know if they do a Lego version ?
    Yep:
    Lego CNC/Laser Cutter
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jonathan, That's cheered me up for the day !

Thread Information