. .
    I'm building a flat screen monitor into a sliding drawer, so need to run the cables through a drag chain. I've not used drag chain before - will I have to buy a size big enough to feed the VGA plug through, or does the chain come apart so I can lay the cable inside first? I only need something like a 10mm x 15mm chain for the cables but will need to go to 15mm x 38mm if the plug has to be fed through. The problem is that I only have approx 40mm space and a 15mm x 38mm will be something like 50mm external which will be too big.

EDIT: This is what I'm looking at: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290822614455
    Last edited by birchy; 23-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Hi Birchy,

I've used the cable dray chain you are talking about... The chain does come apart either side, bit its a pain in the arse to undo each section I've found... It depends if you plan to remove the cables again?? If its only a short length then its probably not too bad.

Thanks for replying. It's only a 500mm drawer so not going to need a massive length of chain and I'm not planning on changing it for many years! You say the chain comes apart - does that mean I can lay the cable inside with the plugs hanging out each end? Or does each section have a closed entrance?

INFORMATION FOR OTHERS:

The drag chain from eBay seller shinyempire (linked above) can NOT be opened up for laying cables. The sections unclip, however cables must be threaded through them. Now I've got the dilemma of whether to buy another type of chain (and hope I can lay my VGA cable inside it) or cut the plug off the VGA cable, thread it through and solder on a new plug. Not happy.

look at a IGUS energie chain it's from a better qwaletie at the same price and you can open the chain to put the cabel in.

Last edited by EddyCurrent; 03-01-2014 at 10:02 PM.

I asked a few folks a month or so ago for recommendations on a supplier. Jazz suggested Chai on ebay, he provided a good price and the cable chain arrived a couple of days ago. Its a 57mm internal size so larger than you might be looking for, it doesnt unclip bit for the size thats ok. I also purchased the following on ebay a while earlier and it does unclip.

UK Cable drag chain wire carrier 18*37mm R48 1000mm (40") with End Connector | eBay

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    This thread is 8 months old...

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    This thread is 8 months old...
    It just dragged on a bit

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    It just dragged on a bit
    I hope you've already picked up your jacket...
    Last edited by m_c; 04-01-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Thread Information