. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Grinding would involve somebody with a surface grinder and small vice.
    Surely a magnetic 'vice' would be easiest, or is it just too small?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Magnetic chucks are only any good for items with large flat surfaces, not holding a small flat bit on edge.

A small vice mounted on the magnetic chuck, with the metal spaced appropriately would work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Magnetic chucks are only any good for items with large flat surfaces, not holding a small flat bit on edge.
    I was just thinking of using the magnetic chuck to hold it whilst grinding the larger faces, but fair enough if it's no use for either...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It would be fine for that, but not for doing the edges which is what the OP is looking for.

One option would be cut them from slightly thicker metal, then grind them to thickness.

Or stack multiples on edge together and grind the lot?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I am wondering here if my lowly cnc machine could be pressed into service to get a reasonable finish on on the top visible edge ....drop a part into a pre cut slot on a holding jig....tighten a couple of holding screws, then run a dremel (fitted with a grinding wheel) along the top edge to a very fine depth? (the depth being so minute, that I doubt my machine would get stressed?)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 28-04-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Try it and see?
    Not going to cost you much, and might produce a good enough finish for what you want.

Another option I just thought of, is cut to near size then finish on a linisher (aka belt sander) using a jig to set depth. You're not really needing the accuracy of grinding, and a linisher can produce as good a finish, but just not as accurately, but they are capable of removing metal far quicker than a surface grinder.
    And thinking along similar lines, maybe a worden style of grinder?

I would probably get a length of flat and cut it to size with either a metal chop saw (the ones with a grinding/cutting disc) or a Rage saw. I have a Rage saw and it cuts through steel like butter.

EDIT:
    Just realised the quantity is 1000+. You'd probably be better off finding someone with an automatic feeding bandsaw and get them to cut the 1.6 "length" from a 4mm thick flat. The company I used to work for some years ago had an automatic bandsaw which was accurate to 0.05mm on auto feed. The only other option I can think of would be a CNC punching machine with a custom made punch and die but you'd still have sheared edges, though you wouldn't lose material to the "kerf" of cutting processes such as sawing. If you get them made slightly over size, you could finish the edges on a surface grinder. You'd need to make a clamping jig but could do about 250 pieces in one setup.

My question is...why are you making these pickups? Maybe something ready made from here will be suitable? http://www.mojotone.com/store?search=blade&x=0&y=0
    Last edited by birchy; 29-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.

A strip slitting company might be able to handle this. You would need to cut them to length though.

Stainless Steel & Mild Steel Stockists; steel cutting service etc from steel stockists UK - Reddifast West Midlands

Thanks for all the valuable input...lots for me to chew on.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    My question is...why are you making these pickups? Maybe something ready made from here will be suitable? Search Results
    A standard guitar pickup is quite tall & obviously guitar has a pickup cavity routed out the wood for them to fit...I'm wanting to make a low profile variant that sits on top of the guitar body (hence the blade needs to be rather squat) ...there ain't nothing out there in the dimensions that I seek.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information