. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    It's now looking like I'll need to source some of these in number, not even sure what it would be called (presently I refer to it as 'a small bit of rectangular 1.6mm thick steel'! - not that catchy - would there be a more appropriate name as used int he industry?)...

If I know how it would be made, then I know who to approach.

Spec is ....1.6mm thick mild steel, about 33mm(ish) x 4mm (I'll also need some about 20mm x 4mm)

From what I can gather....laser cutting is out (deformation?), water jet cutting is a possibility but would probably need tabs...else the part falls into the water tank below! (which means a bit of a hassle tarting up the de-tabbed part) ....could something like this be stamped/pressed out of 1.6mm sheet? (sorry if this is a naive question....but this is all a brave new world to me!)

Ideas on the back of a postcard please!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 26-04-2013 at 10:34 AM.

laser cutting is not out, in 1.6 there would be no problem
    John S -

cool...so it wouldn't deform? (from hazy recollection, I was told some time ago by a laser cutting firm, that it's the 4mm dimension that's the problem - not the 1.6mm thickness) how much effort do you reckon would be needed on the laser cut part to make it look presentable? I need one of the sides in particular to look visually decent (as looking down on the part if it were standing up - not on its side as photographed). I can tell you from making the one photographed with a hacksaw & file, these are not nice bits to work with - way too piddly - so looking for a way of manufacturing that won't take me ages to clean up once received.

Also how thin can you go with steel sheet before deformation from the laser cutting becomes a problem?
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 26-04-2013 at 11:22 AM.

What is it ? A key of some sort like a woodruff key?

Could you not do them easy enough with a jigsaw? Use a guide & cut longish lengths, clean up the edges then cut them to correct lengths.

It's a 'blade' for the inside (pole piece) of a guitar blade pickup, I found this on google images to give you an idea....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teleblades.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	8850

But these will be very low profile....& I really need the accuracy that I'd not be able to attain with a jigsaw (each long thin edge needs to be nice & flat...the top visible edge must look good, the bottom nice & flat so the magnets attach well) ...also, I'm not talking a few - probably at least one thousand pcs initially (& that'll get old very quick with 'me and a jigsaw!)!)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 26-04-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Hank if it was me i would be tempted to buy 4mm flat bar and rip down the length at your 1.6mm thickness on a bandsaw. You could then stack and cut multiples to the length you need? I'm sure you bog standard metal supplier could do that for you rather than going to fabricators and such like?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Hi Hank,

I would suggest that you should be able to obtain 14g x 4mm flat wire in stainless, which would probably be better suited to your application. You'd then only have to worry about the length, but a guillotine would make a neat job of the ends. If you did a detailed google search I'm sure your find a wire supplier. I think they might use this type of wire within the craft / jewellery trade, maybe worth going down that route?

It's a 'blade' for the inside (pole piece) of a guitar blade pickup,
    33mm long? where did the other 2 strings go?

For looks I think ground would be best, but then again gutiarists being the funny lot hey are you will probably have to have the option of chromed, black chrome, polished steel, ground and nasty gold plated.

I've cut 1.5mm in a guillotine before, not sure I would want to do it a 1000 times tho, if its 20 or so for R&D then no prob, also leave shear marks on the edge so would still need finnishing. since its for a production run you will probably be best getting a quote from a fabrication company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    33mm long? where did the other 2 strings go?
    Good spot...perhaps I could sell to banjoists or maybe back to the drawing board ;-)

Joking apart, that's just the blade for EADG...there's a small gap of 1mm & then B & E get their own blade/treatment (I didn't want to cloud the issue, hence only showing the EADG blade!)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Hank if it was me i would be tempted to buy 4mm flat bar and rip down the length at your 1.6mm thickness on a bandsaw. You could then stack and cut multiples to the length you need? I'm sure you bog standard metal supplier could do that for you rather than going to fabricators and such like?

I just don't think I could get the accuracy for a 1.6mm width cut ...& all places I've been in touch with (admittedly only Ebay metal suppliers), can't seem to cope with anything that can't be guillotined (anything less than about 13mm cut width seems to get a "No can do, guv" type response)

Quote Originally Posted by drumsticksplinter View Post
    Hi Hank,

I would suggest that you should be able to obtain 14g x 4mm flat wire in stainless, which would probably be better suited to your application. You'd then only have to worry about the length, but a guillotine would make a neat job of the ends. If you did a detailed google search I'm sure your find a wire supplier. I think they might use this type of wire within the craft / jewellery trade, maybe worth going down that route?
    Alas, stainless is no good for this application (stainless isn't very magnetic, and the material I need to use must be very magnetic)

I'd pondered one of these....

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ng-and-Bending (I can get 1.6mm steel cut 33mm wide) ...then I'd only have the 4mm strip to cut - but I reckon a 4mm strip will curl/deform (& then there's a gripping square problem as it's beinf fed in)

They tout this precision shear as having little deformation....

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/es...p-metal-cutter but only available Stateside & it'll cost a pretty penny for them to put it in an oversize jiiffy bag & post it to me!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 26-04-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'd think laser or waterjet will give the cleanest 'as cut' edge with minimal distortion, however I'd think you'd really need to get them ground after that to get a clean edge.

However I'd guess laser/waterjet will be pretty expensive unless you go for a large batch. Grinding would involve somebody with a surface grinder and small vice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information