. .
    Morning
    ive been having some problems with my diy cnc,i can jog the machine back an forth fine with vfd on but when i power up the spindle all axis judder when moving,the vfd was mounted to the machine with no problems for several months now after the problem started ive moved and mounted it to the back wall and with the vfd cables suspended from the ceiling to but its still doing it
    the vfd is operated manually and not through mach and im using shielded cable.
    maybe its something obvious to you lot,,im absolutely naff with electronics.

Howdo,

I have had similar issues with my Yakasawa VFD driving a small 3/4HP 3-ph motor. The issue was caused by the EM crud being emitted from the mains wiring out of the VFD. To cure the fault, I used a mains EM/RFI filter similar to ebay 161015962556 - mounted directly at the terminals of the VFD with only a couple of inches of mains wiring. The other thing that helped was the use of shielded 4 core cable up to the motor, with the shield being grounded at the VFD end only.

I hope that helps!

regards,

Paul.

thanks a lot paul,got a chap coming down in a few days to look at it, im sure he,ll fave a fit when he sees the wiring i'l take a look at that filter.thanks

4. Quote Originally Posted by pjm View Post
    Howdo,

I have had similar issues with my Yakasawa VFD driving a small 3/4HP 3-ph motor. The issue was caused by the EM crud being emitted from the mains wiring out of the VFD. To cure the fault, I used a mains EM/RFI filter similar to ebay 161015962556 - mounted directly at the terminals of the VFD with only a couple of inches of mains wiring. The other thing that helped was the use of shielded 4 core cable up to the motor, with the shield being grounded at the VFD end only.

I hope that helps!

regards,

Paul.
    What if stepper cables were 4core shielded?
    Would that help?
    Would You need to use shielded cable for spindle as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    What if stepper cables were 4core shielded?
    Would that help?
    Would You need to use shielded cable for spindle as well?
    You do realise this post was from 2013.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You do realise this post was from 2013.!!!

Slow broadband

7. Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Slow broadband
    ... and nevertheless there's still activity on this thread. If I wait for 2-3 days maybe someone will actually respond with something constructive.

Why don't you start a new thread with an actual question. If you have problems with interference, you will get a better response if you detail the issues and ask for advice. I am sure that Lee would agree that this is the best approach to take. If he doesn't, he will voice his disagreement and correct my assumptions.

The gist of this thread was to encourage CNC builders to keep wiring neat, properly earthed and appropriately shielded. Yes, shielded wiring to the steppers will be a good thing, but should really not be necessary if your control electronics are properly designed and installed. VFD's and steppers produce EMI, but it ought not to interfere with anything in a grounded metal control box.

You will find members of this forum knowledgeable and willing to help and although some take the piss a little, the forum is generally friendly and you get good advice.

I am the joker in the pack

Rob 'Doc' cropwell

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    ... and nevertheless there's still activity on this thread. If I wait for 2-3 days maybe someone will actually respond with something constructive.
    Doubt it because it doesn't read like a question and more like a suggestion.!! . . . . . Rob was having a Joke but seems a sense of humour is in short supply these days.!!

Rob I'm sure Lee would approve because your name doesn't start with "J" or "D" . . .

Thread Information