. .
    Lives in County Durham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-09-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 6.
    Hello everyone,

I've been following this forum for a few months now and felt it was about time I signed up and introduced myself.

I have spent all my working life as a Marine Engineer, for many years on trading vessels and for the last 18 years on floating production vessels (FPSOs). I'm currently working offshore Brazil as Chief Engineer / Maintenance Superintendent on a Petrobras installation. Obviously, this involves a lot time away from home and hampers progress with my hobbies but any progress is good. Roll on retirement!

My hobby interests center around Model Engineering, primarily 5" gauge steam locomotives. My workshop is equipped with Warco 626 & Mini Mills, a Myford 254 lathe, a couple of bench drills, surface grinders and now, last but not least, a Denford Triac PC mill, purchased from a very helpful and patient forum member.

A few years ago I managed to have some locomotive connecting & coupling rods CNC machined for me and it was this that first got me thinking about the possibilities of CNC for my own purposes. I looked into it a bit at the time and decided that the investment in a new machine wasn't really cost effective. However, earlier this year year I saw the Denford advertised and the rest, as they say, is history.

Last month I got the machine set up and everything seemed to work fine despite the machine having been bounced up the road for several hours in the back of a Transit van. Since then I have managed to write a bit of G-code for a few very simple jobs and had my first successes in the world of CNC.

No doubt I will continue to learn lots from this forum and hope I can contribute something as well.

Reg

Welcome to the forum Reg..... Jeepers I envy you being amongst all those leggy Brazilian sunbathers!
    Which county do you tend to call home when you're back in Blighty?
    Cheers,
    Andy

Lives in County Durham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-09-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 6.
    Thank you for the welcome Andy.

Sadly we don't see much of the leggy Brazilians offshore and even on the beaches there aren't as many as we might dream about. However, that's never stopped anybody looking

Home is the North East of England, County Durham. It might not be the leading contender for the title of center of the universe but home is always home.

Thanks again,

Reg

Welcome to the forum Reg, you have already contributed something by introducing yourself helping to keep the forum a friendly place.

Thread Information