. .
    Ok, before I spend $25 dollars on a 3d clipart of quite literally "a chicken".... can anybody offer any alternaive sites... or even downloads, anything?

I use aspire.. aspire seem to be so closely tied with 'vector art 3d' im not sure what file format aspire 'accepts' for 3d...

so. my question is as follows

Can anybody offer any other sites etc? that might be cheaper? etc
    or can anybody recommend any software I can convert a 2d vector into a 3d vector

am I doing it all wrong and need to use a different peace of software?

matt

The general idea with aspire is to import a 2D drawing of your chicken, then use the 3d modelling tools to 'extrude' parts and in doing so build up the chicken shape.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I've seen vids on artcam pro that do it but I have had to basically model them in 3d software then make a a relief using a height map, its a pain and takes to much time wish i could afford the pro version tbh

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Matt,

You have updated Aspire correct? If so then you can use any of the numerous 3D modeling sites to import into Aspire. It is a long list of sites and some are free, some for donations and some charge you. VectorArt3D is part of the Vectric group and the modesl they sell are water tight which helps if you are planning on doing a full 3D item over a relief (Though it also help with a relief).

There is a Hungarian (free?donation) site and a Russian (Pay) that are useful. As well as a few from the US. Avoid sites that are based in China or the Arabic world as too many of them are scams or very low quality models (some are low quality obj files that don't convert well in Aspires import ability). There is also a good amount of Vector images that are free low cost that you can get in Obj Format and either direct import into Aspire (hoping the original image is good quality, if not modify in Aspire) or use Blender to import and export as a .stl to Aspire.

Hope this helps.

Fivetide, there are other options but they either cost money (Which Aspire is pretty much the best for the buck there) or they cost time (Blender and MeshLab). Good luck. Though you most likely have found this out already and I am just singing to the choir.

Michael

regarding artcam pro you could just buy artcam express and the purchase the individual modules
    or you could do what your doing then download sculptris for putting a bit of detail into the model which is free last time i checked..very much like z-brush
    Last edited by dazza; 10-05-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Artcam is the most ridiculously overpriced software i have seen for many years. It is aimed at big business. yes its a fantastic program but unless you have a huge budget (or a pirated version)(who would do such a thing!!)
    its way beyond the price range of us poor hobbyist. Aspire seems to have a lot of the functionality of art cam and even though it is still a hell of an investment seems worth the money. (a new version has recently been relesased but i do not know what improvements have been made.
    if you want top build your own 3D models then 3D studio max is probably the best (in my opinion) out there and if you sign up for a "student" package it is 100% free.
    Zbrush (or its free cousin)(forget what its called at the moment) is fantastic for adding detail to 3D models.
    so get out there and google away (you never know what "free" software is available.)

Thread Information