. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Question on PCB and routing , well more .. will it work I guess ? Anyway I have hammered the tutorials and finally got to where I think I can start to mill the board. Only thing is is a question on power voltage etc. as you can see I have highlighted my concern in a red box , this is two molex 2 male pin plugs , I want to draw power from both as they go to different parts of the hardware .. will this work ? Will this affect the voltage ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcb-1.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	8907

and blew a close up :)

Name:	pcb-2.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	8908

any help as normal appreciated :) only had four beers so far .. record lol BTW the board is tiny only only 60mm x 40mm .

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

As long as your within the limit of what the regulator can supply AND the traces are wide enough for the current desired, it should work.
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Depending on current, it may mean a slightly higher voltage drop at X7, however provided that whatever you're powering from the connectors aren't going to be affected by noise/voltage spikes from each other, and you're not going to overload the tracks, it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bubba View Post
    As long as your within the limit of what the regulator can supply AND the traces are wide enough for the current desired, it should work.
    I've made the traces as wide as possible, I think it should be able to handle the current , suppose I wont know until I try it Bubba lol , again thanks for the reply mate :)

Name:	monotank2.1.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	8909

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Depending on current, it may mean a slightly higher voltage drop at X7, however provided that whatever you're powering from the connectors aren't going to be affected by noise/voltage spikes from each other, and you're not going to overload the tracks, it'll be fine.
    Hi MC , nah the last on the rail powers two 5v servos the first powers a raspberry pi , i'll have to rethink if it drains or spikes to much, but they are 7 quid a pop I would expect then to have some umthh ! lol
    Beer 5 ..now poured !

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Hi MC , nah the last on the rail powers two 5v servos the first powers a raspberry pi , i'll have to rethink if it drains or spikes to much, but they are 7 quid a pop I would expect then to have some umthh ! lol
    Beer 5 ..now poured !
    Use this: The PCB Track Width Calculator to calculate track width...

Incidentally, 3-pin regulators should have 10 - 100nF ceramic capacitors on input and output else things can get noisy. See their datasheets.
    Last edited by irving2008; 10-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Use this: The PCB Track Width Calculator to calculate track width...

Incidentally, 3-pin regulators should have 10 - 100nF ceramic capacitors on input and output else things can get noisy. See their datasheets.
    Hi Irving hope your feeling ok , they are used for pure power no signal its just a drop down box.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Hi Irving hope your feeling ok , they are used for pure power no signal its just a drop down box.
    read the datasheets... HF noise on power lines can cause all sorts of issues.. trust me, been designing electronics for 40 years!

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    read the datasheets... HF noise on power lines can cause all sorts of issues.. trust me, been designing electronics for 40 years!
    So you think I should add 10k's at the voltage out ? I'm going off the guys schematic , he didnt include them only on the data line.

PI Tank power
    Last edited by Fivetide; 11-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I normally include an electrolytic cap on the output of linear regulators, then add a ceramic near the input of anything that may be affected by noise.

Although things may work without caps on the linear regs, it's not good practise. Lots of linear regulators specify minimum capacitence on the output lines in their datasheets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information