. .
    I mentioned in another thread that I bought a non- working router via ebay. The machine has been delivered and put into position in a friends workshop. I have actually bought this machine in shared ownership with him as he has the workshop space and a 3 phase supply. I have today purchased the necessary cable, isolators etc. to put in a new power cicuit for the machine and hope to be able to try to power up the machine next week. The machine has no screen and when last working was running on an old CRT monitor and computer. I am intending to build a new flat screen monitor into the original controller cabinet, and then set about trying to get the beast running. I will report progress? as, when and if there is any!!! G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I mentioned in another thread that I bought a non- working router via ebay. The machine has been delivered and put into position in a friends workshop. I have actually bought this machine in shared ownership with him as he has the workshop space and a 3 phase supply. I have today purchased the necessary cable, isolators etc. to put in a new power cicuit for the machine and hope to be able to try to power up the machine next week. The machine has no screen and when last working was running on an old CRT monitor and computer. I am intending to build a new flat screen monitor into the original controller cabinet, and then set about trying to get the beast running. I will report progress? as, when and if there is any!!! G.
    Hey G, sounds Cool, I will be following this thread with eager interest..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

The new power circuit is now in, A used vacuum pump purchased and the machine is connected up. next job is to "plumb in" the vacuum and compressed air circuits and then connect to the computer to see just what (if anything!!!) happens. I do not intend to fit the flat screen monitor, but will continue with the old CRT monitor until the machine shows signs of working. G.

Over a month has now passed, and the project is now starting to show some progress. The router has a NUM controller which although built in 1999 runs with windows 95. I have fitted a blanking plate to cover the hole where the original flat screen monitor had been and attached a larger flat screen which has been laying about for years (I knew it would come in handy some day). The old computer that came with the machine was connected up, along with the compressed air and the system was powered up. Oh dear!!! - nothing happened other than a few fault codes showing on the screen, the most serious being
    INVERTER NOT OK. Ever the optimist I hoped it would be an estop problem (INV. not OK is the standard default when the drives do not power up). At this stage I invited an electrical Guru (Terry) to help. Further investigation showed that the spindle inverter was showing an EOC Over current), even with the spindle disconnected. Once removed I took the inverter (KEB F4) to KEB at Wellingborough to be tested. Yes youv'e guessed it - unit faulty and discontinued - cheaper to buy a new
    KEB F5 inverter. KEB most helpful, transferred the old parameters to the new unit and gave me new correlation table for the connections. 23 connections and not two the same!!! Inverter fitted, drives powered up, looking good for next days progress?
    Next morning machine won't power up - no LEDS in cabinet that usually looks like Blackpool illuminations. Seimens 24v power supply failure. New PS purchased (not Seimens) and installed. Machine now powers up drives are on machine references and spindle runs so starting to look promising. A couple of days trying to learn the controller operation and the machine will now jog all axis and the manual toolchange works OK (pneumatic). Found an old program (bed skim) on the computer, loaded it and "HURRAY", it runs. So far all work has been carried out with no cutting tool fitted for safety reasons.
    Still a few jobs to do. A new gas strut is required for the Z axis counter balance, I intend to replace most of the pneumatic tubing and connectors and I must learn how to input my own programs into the controller. Sorry if this seems longwinded. G.

Sounds like it's starting to shape up Geoffrey, look forward to seeing the videos of it in action.

G

No good waffling without pictures........

Well done on getting it running.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Ok, no more waffling now without pictures, but something to add from yesterday (I did not mention in case it didn't happen).
    The Z axis gas strut needed replacing and was not available off the shelf. I contacted SGS Derby just after 5pm yesterday
    (Friday) not really expecting a reply. Surprise surprise, phone was answered and the manager said he would get the strut made
    (I was able to to a full spec.) straight away and I could collect Sat. am. Another bonus, that purpose made strut was about £20.00 cheaper than the out of stock standard item. I collected the strut this morning and hope to install it on Monday. Who says you can't get good service from UK firms. Well done SGS and thankyou. G.

Thread Information