. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sorry, not a normal CNC request, but thought some members might be either in the trade or produce tooling etc as a side line.
    I am in the process of ordering a part in ABS with a shot weight of 60g, max dimension 120mm x 120mm x 25mm.
    (I don't want to post a drawing etc for commercial reasons)
    I would prefer to buy in the Uk if at all possible, and just thought it was worth a try on here (nothing ventured nothing gained), before buying overseas.
    If anyone thinks they might be interested PM for more details.

Thanks
    Bazzer

Sorry not my thing really so apologies if this is not possible but does it need to be injection molded? I know there are a few guys about with 3D printers so just wondering if the part could be printed instead.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Sorry not my thing really so apologies if this is not possible but does it need to be injection molded? I know there are a few guys about with 3D printers so just wondering if the part could be printed instead.
    Just registered to ask something else and spotted this. I do 3D printing in PLA, ABS and Nylon - happy to try and print a part for you if you want - (free, no cost) to see if it can be done.

Try a company called penhale quantock, we use them for moulded lighting products. They have always given a good service, been using them for years!

Or try protomold, had good prices off them!

Regads
    Andrew

5. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewbond For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Hi Martin - I did think of this, as some of the machines are only about 1K (alot cheaper than a mould ), but I can't remember the cost of the plastic off the top of my head, but I think a 60g part would cost over a fiver each in material.

Thanks for the thought

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Just registered to ask something else and spotted this. I do 3D printing in PLA, ABS and Nylon - happy to try and print a part for you if you want - (free, no cost) to see if it can be done.
    hi Chaz - Thanks for your kind offer, but if I am correct the material cost alone would be over a fiver each at 60g. Still if you fancy making a few thousand let me know
    I do have some of these items, just looking for new supplier.

Thanks
    Simon

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bazzer View Post
    hi Chaz - Thanks for your kind offer, but if I am correct the material cost alone would be over a fiver each at 60g. Still if you fancy making a few thousand let me know

Thanks
    Simon
    Robin was restoring an injection moulding machine so he could make his own parts as quality from China IIRC was getting worse.

Not sure where he is with it...

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/tool-t...n-moulder.html
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/softwa...ng-manual.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzer View Post

Thanks
    Simon
    A few thousand ... ok then. Send me the file if you can - my curiosity and Ill cost it up :-) (and see if its something that can be printed).

Haven't used them for a long time but these guys used to be helpful: Linton Plastic Moulders

For large quantities we used to go to Malaysia, not China. The quality was better.

Russell.
    Last edited by russell; 17-05-2013 at 01:15 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to russell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    A few thousand ... ok then. Send me the file if you can - my curiosity and Ill cost it up :-) (and see if its something that can be printed).
    Wasting your time Chaz if you are running a business, on the volume that Bazzer wants you shouldn't be able to get close in price if your charging properly, material costs will be higher, filament v pellets & it will take far more time for the job as well, once the mold is made an injection molding machine will spit out 1000 of these in no time.
    Only reason I mentioned printing to start with was because I thought Bazzer was looking for a one off which would make injection molding very expensive with the cost of a mold.
    On small quantities & prototyping then yes printing is probably far cheaper than injection molding but not on large volumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information