. .
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi,

I currently run a 3D printing business where we sell bits and kits - been looking at CNC for a while but went with the printers in the end and turned it into a small business.

I am currently relooking at CNC so help make parts for some printers that I have designed myself.

So I have some questions about using a Kress 1050 and if it will do light Aluminium work etc - but will just do a bit of reading and checking of posts for now.

Dont have a specific budget in mind - dont need anything too big - mostly smallish parts - I think max probably 300 x 300 x 100. Budget - say £1000 - 1500 ..... dont mind buying 2nd hand or assembling a kit either.

Fairly keen to see if one of our larger 3D printers (300 x 300 x 300 print area) could be converted to a light cnc machine. It will need a bit of work but not too difficult I think.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Chaz, your biggest problem converting a 3D printer to use as a CNC machine is going to be making it rigid enough if you are intending cutting aluminium with it. Have a look through the build logs as it will give you a better idea.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Chaz, your biggest problem converting a 3D printer to use as a CNC machine is going to be making it rigid enough if you are intending cutting aluminium with it. Have a look through the build logs as it will give you a better idea.
    Understood. The frame that I have is fairly rigid but not enough so as it stands currently - perhaps light plastic work or similar - nothing more.

Can anyone tell me if something like a Kress 1050 is suitable for light alu work or should I just go and look at the 2.2KW type spindles?

Thanks

Yes
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 18-05-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: added video

If you are looking at a production environment for machining aluminium then a cress may not be your best option but for occasional use they seem to be ok as the video shows. Not used one myself so can't speak from personal experience.

Thanks - its just a starting point - will check to see whats available once I am ready to buy.

So, taking a bash at my own design. Nothing special - keeping to basics - using this CNC as inspiration - will cost it all up and see what it will cost. Welcome to comment / crit etc. Inspiration from here (ie, this is what I am trying to copy). http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/router...ade-cnc-4.html

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8395/8...a6a95de7_b.jpg

Thanks
    Attachment 8956

The bed is 120 x 30 profile, 1 meter long and 4 x 120 width. The other section is 120 x 60 profile - 480mm across and 200mm shorter segments for the sides. Of course still a load to do and look at.

Thread Information