. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    wobblyjelly
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:47 PM.

OK, here's my dilemma: absolute maximum distance from motor shaft centre to Z dovetail is 90mm. It looks a bit touch and go whether or not a 90 frame motor will fit. According to THIS thread, which is an almost identical machine, they used a 1.1kW 2-pole motor with an 80 frame size and report that it only *just* fits. As said by Jonathan earlier in this thread, a 4-pole motor will give better torque but will have to be run up to 100hz to get the desired speed of around 2800RPM. But I can't find a 1.1kW 4-pole motor with a frame size less than 90...

So, assuming I use an 80 frame size, would I be better off using a 2-pole 1.1kW OR downsizing to a 0.75kW 4-pole? Or can anyone provide a link to a 1.1kW 4-pole in an 80 frame size?

Just spoke to my motor supplier.
    You can get 4 pole in 80 frame at 1.1Kw, if you move to 2 Pole you can go up to 1.5kw
    They don't have them but about 3 days lead time.

You need to talk to Martin at M&R Controls 01773 875795
    John S -

Thank you John. The 2 pole 1.5kW might be a nice solution as it means 2800RPM without running the motor at twice its rated frequency.

As a man with experience of these machines, what would you normally choose?

Hi there birchy, I am planing to do the same thing to my WM16 (fed up with changing brushes) but am thinking about keeping the 2 speed gearbox but replacing them with steel gears to give me a degree of backgear. The primary drive will be by toothed belt I think. Have you come across ant major problems with your conversion?

Regards Mark P.

If you have money to burn you can go the AC servo route and get 1.65Kw in a 85mm square flange motor and you will have more power than you will need on that small machine.

http://www.kollmorgen.com/en-gb/prod...-servo-motors/

Graham

Hi All.
    I have a WM16 that was converted some 12 years ago by John Stevenson (did a great job!) - it was originally a Warco CNC, which was crap (it still had Acme screws and not the ball screws as I had been told - so accuracy was about as far out as the moon!). In the upgrade, John also fitted a 1:1 tooth belt drive from the motor to the gear spindle, so increased the main spindle speed to around 4300rpm max - I run mainly at 4000rpm and has run happily at this. I did have error problems with glitches in communication between the computer and the mill from time to time, but this was solved with the addition of SmoothStepper. Excellent.

I only use it for small model engineering hobby projects so is not in constant use, but it has done a few hundred hours of reliable running.

My problem now is that after experiencing a sudden build-up of chatter over a short period, I replaced all the bearings in the head and tightened up all the gib strips. Now I still have a vibration at high speed - removing the belt from the pulley and running the motor by itself, there is a vibration there, so need to replace the motor.

Does anyone know of a higher-speed motor (say 5000rpm) that would be a direct replacement for this one? Or will I have to go back to Warco for the motor?

Regards,
    GeoffB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information