. .

Thread: My acquisition.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    what a great idea and awesome results .. well done kingy :)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, il perhaps post more pictures later if anybody is interested in a photo adventure? But The X rails are now both clean and sliding properly. Ive removed the gantry to find the Z is round supported rails with a 16mm pitch ballscrew. Both of which have been guarded from the weather and seem fine. I have both Y rails in the gutter (aka tank) in the process of cleaning them now.
    Il paint the gantry and re-assemble for the weekend where hopefully I may get it working

Ive removed the electrics, It has a 75v switched chineese power supply (which works :D)
    4 Leadshine drivers ... (which at this point ive established power up which I guess is a good sign)
    but I cant get a sausage from the breakout board... PLEASE tell me the reason they turfed this machine out is because the bob is broken and everything else is fine!!! :D that would be quality.....

thats about it. well apart from holding up a full time job 45 hours a week, and looking after my two year old and all the other family related duties...

Ive got all the electrics wired up on the bench and hopefully tonight/tomorrow I should be able to get the steppers going... in which case Il need to buy a new spindle a new breakout board and perhaps think about what vaccum pump solution im going to use...(obviously the present ones are 3phase) which will be directly relative to where and what I decide to do with the machine

See the thing is, my workshop is presntly approx 20ft, 10ft... the machine is 12ftx7ft!!! its presently being stored temporarily at a friends farm... but im leaning on him so It cant stay there forever

Option #1, once machine is working... keep the machine, get rid of / store my other one -- this will involve flattening my existing workshop and starting again
    Advantages
    Get a new purpose built workshop / which id obviously soundproof
    Get to keep the bigger machine
    Lots of time to use machine.. Its just down the end of the garden

Disadvantages
    Loose valuable garden space for little one growing up (although we are surrounded by fields)
    Would have to move / sell / get rid of existing machine due to space

or

Option #2
    Rent somewhere out to keep it
    Advantages
    *Dont have to rebuild workshop
    *Can get it going straight away
    *Have more space for more toys
    *No worries about falling out with neighbours over noise (not that im worried about that as I live next door to and surrounded by good friends
    Disadvantages
    *Rent!
    *Although Ive made a few things for friends etc, im not a business I have a good job and its just a wicked toy so justifying the rent of a unit a car drive away maybe a bit silly?

anyway... theres an update...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    impressive!
    Very !

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    So, il perhaps post more pictures later if anybody is interested in a photo adventure?
    Yes please

.Me
    .Me

bearings slide lovely, no play

all back on machine, heavily greased (after this pic)
    Those rails and bearings look like manufactured by SBC (Take a closer pick of bearings and I'll tell for sure) and if so then I think I've got some bearings kicking around if not I've got access to getting some if you ever need any.

thanks jazz. Il upload a piccy tomorrow

got the Z working!! off its own steam. Using its own power supply its own stepper controller. The other motor controllers appear to be working but the other steppers (Y and X) are eight cable flavour

two green, two yellow, two red & two blue

with the standard 4 core ones, I work out which are the coils but shorting the cables to test for extra resistance in the shaft but these eight core ones blow my mind... has anybody got any idea how I work out how to wire it? Ive got no model number for the steppers and obviously no diagram
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130619_215756.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	9098

oh, and... and as the highlight of all your evenings... here is the z moving

G the video is saying it is private

With the machine against one wall i would keep it, 2' is plenty of room honest
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    G the video is saying it is private

With the machine against one wall i would keep it, 2' is plenty of room honest
    Fixed video.... re machine...I doubt il get rid of it anyway!... 2' wont leave me much space for all my other previous toys ; D

I reckon with the machine you could you could build some timber panels for an extension to the garage ;-)
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

dunno. but if a mod is reading this please delete the duplicate...

dunno. but if a mod is reading this please delete the duplicate...
    All done.

.Me
    .Me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information