. .

Thread: My acquisition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi all

been in the background for a while.. reading with interest. My new rig has finally arrived. Its taken a while but as previously posted, I got this quite cheap and have had to call in some favours along the way but its now been delivered and unloaded and on returning from my holidays today.. ive seen it for the first time.

For now.. its at a friends farm. Where I can hopefully resurrect it, then if I can... build a bigger workshop!

anyway, il stop yabbering

here are the pics I took earlier today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130603_184019.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	9017

Name:	20130603_184031.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	9018

Name:	20130603_184109.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	9019

Name:	20130603_184215.jpg 
Views:	921 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	9020

Name:	20130603_184402.jpg 
Views:	755 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	9021

Rubbing the rails with sandpaper and wd40 brings the rust off. Only did about 1cm at the end of one of X rails (incase you guys suggest I shouldnt)

The spindle looks the same as the 2.2kw one i have on my other machine.. except physically its much bigger

its rack and pinion drive on all three axis

moved it with HIAB (weighs nearly three tons)

First question (probably of many)

obviously getting the machine itself doesnt phase me (with my confidence from my initial build) however the suction bed would be excellant if I could get that working

1.) can anybody shed any light on the big blue thing!. I assume its a suction device that connects to the bed to suck the workpeace down... It obviously looks like three-phase. Ultimately il be needing to run it on single (shall I bin that bit now?) what are the 240v options? if any?

measurements are 12ft x 7ft

WOW! This thing is a beast! Well done on the find and getting it back ok!

I think you should go easy on the rubbing of the rails, obviously if you reduce the rial diameter by just a fraction then the bearings will have play. Maybe see how well the rust comes off with fine wire wool and wd40

The big blue job looks to be the vacuum system. If you got this up and running then it will make it much more easier to hold full sheets and cut small pieces. From the picture it looks like there are 2 x 5.5kw motors? You could run these from a phase converter (google transwave phase converters) It looks like the motors are only designed to run from 380V in delta configuration so I'm not sure you could run them from an inverter. Maybe if you could just get one of them going for now and see if you actually need to run 2....

The control panel looks pretty bog standard, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it going.

Congratulations. I think you have a real bargain there. No chance IMO of running those vac pumps on single phase as the motors will draw far too much current. A vac bed will be fantastic for work holding, but I think you would be better to try to get a 3ph. supply or else sell the two pumps (you could get up to £500 each on a good day) and buy a couple of smaller single phase units.
    Keep abrasives away from the rails. WD40 and pan scouring pads are probably the best remedy for surface rust. Good luck. G.

How much did you pay? ;)

Wish I had a decent vacuum bed!

6. You might try rubbing compound on the rust and see how it does (small section,if possible not on the rails to start (cleaning the side of a rack would work). IF that removes the rust then you have a solution to the rust problem and hopefully can restore the rails. The carriages need to be inspected and if they have been exposed to the environment as much as the rails and not had a good grease packing first, most likely need replacing (or will in the near future).

Strongly suggest going to a more modern smaller vacuum pump or even going over to a venturi system as that can get you the pressure levels you are going to need. Also look at getting some MDF (19mm will work) as a working bed. The level of vacuum you need to run something like that will pull right through MDF. Does it come with zones on the bed for the vacuum? If not you will want to get gasket material and set up some zones to save on force and power.

Looks like you did good on the purchase from the struture. The drivers leave a bit of a question or two for me and finding out what type of stepper motors it is using will also let you know what realistic feed rates will be and if you need to be looking at moving to servo's or to the hybrid close loop steppers.

Good luck and well done hopefully everything can be brought up to full functioning quickly.

Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    How much did you pay? ;)

Wish I had a decent vacuum bed!
    Building one is not that hard. Depends on access to materials. I am working on a design at present and using information I got from another cnc'er to build a small one that will support a small table (850 x 340 cutting area size) as well as jigs. Smaller parts require higher levels of vacuum due to a couple of different issues that one of the more math orientated members can most likely explain. Once I get it done will post the design.

Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    How much did you pay? ;)
    paid £500 for the lot !! was a ball ache actually getting it though...

Those rails may potentially be a problem then... im unsure the rust will come off with anything short of sandpaper...

How about a rush removing gel like you get for cars?

I would make a temporary tank up out of plastic sheet and use the electrolysis method, much safer and will look like new for all the parts. Defo stay away from the sand paper
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swarfing For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information