. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    morning all im looking to get these parts knocked up on a lathe save me buying one i need 100 in black acetal but will likely need more doing there after.
    they will need further machineing by me to fit other parts so must be bang on although the overall diameter is not critical just so long as it doesnt fall below a certain size ,i can supply the acetal bar from plastics direct unless you can do it cheaper.
    i cant go above £1.25 a prt my price is based on what ive already been quoted to do the full machining of them which was £5 per part all in.

i,ll attatch images of the part both sides but im not sure what format to save it in as a model so i can pin it here to look at
    to give a rough idea to size the part is 9mm thick overall and diameter is 38.5mm overall ta
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acetal disks 005.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	818.0 KB 
ID:	9046
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acetal disks 002.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	795.6 KB 
ID:	9047
    Last edited by dazza; 12-06-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Is that 1.25 including or excluding material costs?

Kind regards,

Scott

hello scott
    thats excluding materials the cheapest place i know of is plastics direct unless who ever wants to do them has the materials in stock i will cover the cost,thanks
    ive ordered in sheet to do this originally on my cnc router which would make light work of it but then id have to flip the sheet and i dont fancy that..

You could cut them out on the CNC router, remove them from the sheet, then machine the other sides individually if aligning the whole sheet is going to be a problem.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

yeah its as much about time as anything else mate,i will probably need a thousand of these disks over the coming months and i must have 20 crappy jobs need doing and they all need doing first.
    the call for a lathes getting louder and louder.

are these parts more complicated to lathe than i know?im not up on lathe work,never owned one so if im taking the piss a bit do say ;)
    Last edited by dazza; 12-06-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Do they have to be acetol or delrin? could they not be a polyurethane plastic? if they can i would have a positive made and use that to make a mold, and then pour the buggers, much cheaper and you can do them yourself.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

8. Cut from acetal rod a cnc lathe with auto tool changer would make short work of it. there's various ways of approaching it and you say theres other machining to do so really need to understand the finished piece. Looks like the reverse side has a small boss.

one way: a cnc lathe would turn outer diameter, drill inner hole, then bore the recess and part off in 2 steps to do the reverse side boss, then face off for the next part. maybe do 10 off in one run out of 120mm-ish long rod.
    Last edited by irving2008; 12-06-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    one way: a cnc lathe would turn outer diameter, drill inner hole, then bore the recess and part off in 2 steps to do the reverse side boss, then face off for the next part. maybe do 10 off in one run out of 120mm-ish long rod.
    Thats exactly how i thought one would go about it,,cant really give too much away but once ive gotten this far with em ive got to run a couple of tool paths on them,using the centre 8mm hole i will bolt these blanks down one at a time and finish..the outer diameter doesnt have to be spot on to size as long as its 38.5mm or greater as it will be machine down with a profile path.

swarfing I wish i could get away with that but there working parts of a 4 or 5 part assembley,they'll get done one way or another thanks.

i thought somebody would have took this on,having slept on it,i will go £140 on these if anyones interested i will pay for the bar needed and have it sent on to you.thanks for looking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information